✅ SOLVED Unknown Emblem on a Flat Button Part 2

dbqIAhunter

Aug 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe my photography skills improved from my post last week. This was a flat button (a little smaller than a dime and I believe brass) found in the yard at an 1854 home. Does anyone know what the symbol might be of? Just curious if it was off a certain brand of clothing or what? There is no lettering anywhere, just the symbol in the middle and the back has nothing on it. Thanks for taking the time to take a look.

IMG_20180507_134055 - Copy.jpg IMG_20180507_134123.jpg

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a one-piece or two-piece button? It looks like a two-piece to me, but I can't tell for sure from the picture. "Flat buttons" are one-piece. Not try to be smart, it is an important distinction when trying to pin down the age of a button.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dbqIAhunter

Aug 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm not sure...sorta of a newbie with this. It does appear there could have been something attached to the back at one time. I thought it might be a cuff button from a jacket or coat.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a two piece button to me. The back has corroded. In my opinion it is a modern fashion button probably from a man's sport coat or blazer.

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey DND, looks like a 2 piece brass button to me too, as opposed to a flat button.

I can't see the back well enough though. Photographs in natural light, with the light hitting at an angle work best.

Hey OP, if the back is rusty, that the loop is squared off, then the button is what is called a "fashion" button. It is made to look like a 2 piece military button, but is more modern and strictly for fashion. Sometimes also called a blazer button.

Older 2 piece buttons, have a brass back with the makers name embossed on it.

Best of luck to you sir, and hopefully the 1854 home will produce some goodies for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dbqIAhunter

Aug 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the help and input. You guys definitely know your stuff.

I will definitely be returning to the 1854 home and am excited about at least 3 other permissions so far for sub 1900 homes in the same area, hopefully have some good things to post in the future. The only problem is finding the time. Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread