Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what these flowers are? We were riding on the 4-wheeler yesterday and saw these at a creek crossing. They flowers had 'seed' looking things at the base of the plant, on the ground.....The seed pods looked like purple grapes :dontknow: . We opened one pod and found it has little green seeds inside.

Attachments

• IMG_1266 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1266 (650x488).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1264 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1264 (650x488).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1265 - Copy (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1265 - Copy (650x488).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 209
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
I'm not sure, I think it's a type of vetch?
Good--that will give me a place to start. We have never seen these 'grape' pods before.
Thanks Lisa!!

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Sand Plums to me, but you would need to look them up. Might give you a place to start on the type.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve71 said:
thats one of them sandcreek flowers very elusive,lol
Steve: :tongue3: ;D :hello:
Daedalus said:
Looks like Sand Plums to me, but you would need to look them up. Might give you a place to start on the type.
I don't think these are sand plums---Don't sand plums grow on 'thicket' like bushes?
Thanks Daedalus :hello: .

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can definitely tell you it ain't sand plums. The pics are a little mixed up to me, but the leaves indicate a type of legume. Type of vetch is a good clue. Crap, I knew all the plants where I come from in Oklahoma but you're in a different part. I'll dig out my reference books.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
I can definitely tell you it ain't sand plums. The pics are a little mixed up to me, but the leaves indicate a type of legume. Type of vetch is a good clue. Crap, I knew all the plants where I come from in Oklahoma but you're in a different part. I'll dig out my reference books.
I've never seen these things before, and I can't find my plant books(I think I hid them from myself ::) ). The pictures I took of the flower/seeds aren't very good--Sorry! (My oldest daughter wasn't with me to take some good pics with her Canon so I had to make do with my little digital camera).
Thanks RGINN--let me know if you find them in your books.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
seems to be different types of seed pods with vetch. Look at the 'diamond head seed pods' kinda similar. the long skinny green pods are the ones I'm familiar with, from crown vetch. It's dark purple, and isn't quite blooming yet.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
seems to be different types of seed pods with vetch. Look at the 'diamond head seed pods' kinda similar. the long skinny green pods are the ones I'm familiar with, from crown vetch. It's dark purple, and isn't quite blooming yet.
Maybe this is a new variety of vetch for this area. I have never seen these seed pods before. I should have brought the pods home with me, but I am very careful about not touching anything reddish in color for fear of it being poison/toxic---we busted that one pod open with two rocks to look at the seeds.
I'll keep searching, Lisa.

Attachments

• IMG_1267 (544x650).jpg
    IMG_1267 (544x650).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1266 (638x650).jpg
    IMG_1266 (638x650).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 171

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread