Unknown painted pottery?

CherryJalapeno

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, does anyone recognize the markings on these pottery ?
The inner layer of the pottery appears to be a sandstone color clay and the outer is red clay, with black geo shapes.
I found these pieces in rio rancho new mexico. very close to home. My daughters history teacher thinks it may be Apache or Anasazi ?
I also found some fire drilling rocks (not sure what those are called) 0228211356.jpg 0228211356a.jpg

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds CJ, hope you get the information you're looking for here. :thumbsup:

Dave

OP
OP
C

CherryJalapeno

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dave. Me too! Im itching to go back to that spot :laughing9:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen that in the 4 corners area and I think they call it San Juan red ware. It's Anasazi, I believe. The markings are just designs. There are places there down around Chimney Rock where the ground is covered with pottery fragments, and mostly just that gray ware, but some times pieces of the red ware. I always look them over for designs, but just leave them laying where I found them.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen that in the 4 corners area and I think they call it San Juan red ware. It's Anasazi, I believe. The markings are just designs. There are places there down around Chimney Rock where the ground is covered with pottery fragments, and mostly just that gray ware, but some times pieces of the red ware. I always look them over for designs, but just leave them laying where I found them.
I have seen broken pottery on just about every ridge and bench saddle along the Grand Canyon that I’ve walked on. There is a lot of broken pottery in that whole huge area.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I curious... What does Apache pottery look like?
I don’t have a photo of one right now but typical household ware was plain un decorated ware...Apaches were warriors, constantly moving, not taking much in the way of goods with them, not making much pottery if any...I’m sure they had metal pots and pans...great basket makers they were, do some reasearch.I’m familiar with southeastern pottery.not southwestern.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread