Unknown stone carving

justinb

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2010
This was used as collateral for rent to my fiancée mom and was supposedly carved by a slave and then recovered from a ship wreck (my fiancée says she has paperwork but cant find it yet). Any ideas on where it is from or any information on it?
Thanks Justin

Attachments

• photo_1_(2).JPG
    photo_1_(2).JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 891
  • photo_2_(2).JPG
    photo_2_(2).JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 857

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks Aztec to me but I am not a collector of South American Artifacts. The plume on the head is common on ceremonial Aztec statues.......JMO..............Joshua Ream might be able to tell you if it is Aztec or not. He is knowledged I believe in South American Artifacts.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine a piece such as that if authentic and it does look authentic would fetch several thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands............That is a extremely nice piece!!!!.......................GTP

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok after further investigation and some research, I now strongly believe it is Mayan. It shows alot of the same traits on the Mayan Statues..................GTP......

OP
OP
J

justinb

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2010
That is really cool I love this carving and hope its stays with us forever. Sent an email to joshua ream he has not responded yet, what do you think the age of the carving is?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Definitely Mayan characteristics.

The photo is not clear enough to make a determination if it is real. There are a lot of similar artifacts manufactured for the tourist trade.

Assuming it's authentic it would be anywhere from 1800 to 1400 years old. And worth a bundle!

HH Jow

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayan Toltecs. They make great fakes they work hard at it. Hope it is real. A museum could possibly help you or as GTP said Joushaream

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That definitely looks more Mayan than Aztec, in my opinion, but I question its authenticity. There is something not quite right about it, and the features of the face are not typical. (Too rounded and soft -- actually rather cartoon-like -- whereas the typical face has a more pronounced and chiseled look, especially in the nose area.) You said that your fiance's mother claimed it was carved by a slave? I wonder if that may actually be the truth of it. Possibly a slave copied something s/he saw -- as in a real bas relief or statue on an ancient ruin. If that was the case, it would still be old, just not that old (and of course, not Mayan). Oddly, the features look more negroid than paleo-mongoloid (native Americans), and since people often tend to put themselves into their art subconsciously, that may be the case here. (Assuming of course, we are talking about a black slave and not a slave of other ethnicity.)

I would be interested in knowing the general provenance and the type of stone though. Also, how large is it?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know whether it's authentic or not, but it's Yum Kax, the Mayan god of corn.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw a show last night on History2 channel where they have found Myan Ruins in Georgia. One is on Fed land and the Feds kicked the guy out of there so he flew over with ladar and mapped the site and it looks exactly like a Myan site in Mexico. He also took local minerals from the area and made their blue ink and had it compared with actual Myan blue ink and had them analized and they matched. Which to him confirms the Myans got the minerals from Georgia because the one mineral is very scarce in Mexico.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread