GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally there has been a few days without rain and I got a chance to hunt an old home site that is now a plowed field. The site has produced some nice finds over the past couple years. My oldest coin from there so far is a 1837 Half dime and there have been several civil era buttons that have been recovered as well. This item was found laying out in a wash and I thought at first glance that it was another Indian head penny. Obviously, it's not but I'm not sure what it is. It a little bigger in size than a penny but far thinner. There is nothing on the back. In person you can see "United States of America" along the edge & "E Pluribus Unum". I thought maybe a button but, I cannot see where the shank would have attached.

Have any ideas?

Attachments

• Lee Co. Ga. 2019 (1).JPG
    Lee Co. Ga. 2019 (1).JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Lee Co. Ga. 2019 (2).JPG
    Lee Co. Ga. 2019 (2).JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 20
In two weeks I will be good for nothing for the rest of my life!:laughing7: Your button may not be artillery but it sure has the looks of a militia one.

I hope you enjoy your retirement. But, don’t be hunting all my sites while I’m at work!

I found your button while looking for Jim's but, as with Jim's it is unidentified. In fact they are variants of the same button. Jim's has an incised front where yours is raised.I can't tell from your picture but the E should be missing from the motto. Does your button measure 15mm? If you have Albert's button book it is on page 458-459. I put the information in a reply to Jim.
Mine is a small cuff button. Don't have it on hand so I can't get an actual measurement. Here are a couple pictures that VMI Digger provided when I dug mine of a vest with these buttons, which makes me lean toward them being Patriotic. The picture was taken in a historical society museum and the vest was not attributed to an individual.

Vest with Button.jpg Vest with Button Close Up.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back