Unpacked My New Vaquero & Went Detecting!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put my new Tesoro Vaquero together this morning, and took it for its maiden hunt at a sports field here in town where I have found gold and silver in the past. I found it to be very easy to ground balance, and super sensitive in All Metal - almost exactly like the Lobo Super Traq. I have over 3,000-hours on the Lobo Super Traq, and just over 400-hours on the Cibola, so the transition to the Vaquero was very easy.

Once I was comfortable that I had it set up properly, I turned on the discrimination, and set it just below Nickel. My first target with the new machine was a key at 3" and I was so happy it was not a pulltab! Soon after, I hit a mellow mid-tone that turned out to be 1965 (so close) Quarter at about 7" For the next hour-and-twenty-minutes I gridded a 50’x 25’ area of the field and got a feel for the Vaquero, and how to “Supertune” it.

I had a couple of cool finds, a 1992 English 10-Pence coin, a small Sterling silver ring, an old arcade token, and $3.57 in clad. I am a very happy new Vaquero owner. :headbang:

Attachments

• delfino1-7-13 005.jpg
    delfino1-7-13 005.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 98
  • delfino1-7-13 006.jpg
    delfino1-7-13 006.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 99
  • delfino1-7-13 007.jpg
    delfino1-7-13 007.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 1

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1
Nice. I like reading how a new machine worked. I have a 20 yr old detector and I am trying to figure out whether a new machine would make a difference or not.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! Depending on what you have, a newer machine would be lighter, and have much better discrimination. :occasion14:

Dignitup

Jan 17, 2008
Ackerman,MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Altho i primarily use my DFX i still have my Tesoro. Its just the u-max but non the less a great machine. My wife uses it now and loves it. Glad to hear your happy with the Vaquero. :icon_thumleft:

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my Silver Sabre for about 20 years and it has lived up to it's name. Found 25 silver coins in one playground in the mid 1990's. My friend has been searching this school with his AT PRO the past couple of weeks and hasn't even found a wheatie... It's been through Hades and is still going strong! Very user friendly. Keep posting those finds!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,

Glad to see you started off on the run so to speak with the new machine.....good results for your maiden hunt.

Regards + HH

Bill

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Lobo centuries ago, and it whooped everybody at the time. I have a pair of Cibolas and a new Tiger Shark now. They do really well and you can swing them all day because they are so lightweight. (I belt mount the unit on the Tiger Shark.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread