Unreal Birthday finds. California gold rush history at its finest.

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECF3D8CC-0BA5-4535-B230-F07869783207.jpeg
Back on may the 18th of this year I went for my daily scouting drive in the central Sierra gold country. This particular area was one of the first mining districts in the state to be extensively mined. I saw a a flat ridgetop extending from the road next to a hydraulic pit overlooking the River. I parked my truck and walked about 100 yards while swinging the Deus. This area was swept by a devastating wildfire last fall and had burned any duff that covered the rocky subsoil. I caught the glimmer of gold and initially thought it was a bottle cap. As I bent over for a better look I saw the eagle and could not believe my eyes! I had just eyeballed an 1844 $5 gold piece! A spent the next 10 minutes in utter disbelief while while trying to pull myself together. It occurred to me I’d better search the area with a fine tooth comb. 5 feet away I dug an 1841 seated dime and couldn’t take anymore. It was the best birthday present ever and I was beyond grateful. Subsequent hunts to the area have revealed absolutely nothing. I should have posted much sooner but honestly forgot all about my treasurenet account.

Attachments

• EF0CCCD6-FBA0-48A8-945C-358E26094DF7.jpeg
    EF0CCCD6-FBA0-48A8-945C-358E26094DF7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 178
  • 7096C1EC-B998-41EB-ACB7-6DB9FBC32761.jpeg
    7096C1EC-B998-41EB-ACB7-6DB9FBC32761.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 181
Upvote 69

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2101563 Back on may the 18th of this year I went for my daily scouting drive in the central Sierra gold country. This particular area was one of the first mining districts in the state to be extensively mined. I saw a a flat ridgetop extending from the road next to a hydraulic pit overlooking the River. I parked my truck and walked about 100 yards while swinging the Deus. This area was swept by a devastating wildfire last fall and had burned any duff that covered the rocky subsoil. I caught the glimmer of gold and initially thought it was a bottle cap. As I bent over for a better look I saw the eagle and could not believe my eyes! I had just eyeballed an 1844 $5 gold piece! A spent the next 10 minutes in utter disbelief while while trying to pull myself together. It occurred to me I’d better search the area with a fine tooth comb. 5 feet away I dug an 1841 seated dime and couldn’t take anymore. It was the best birthday present ever and I was beyond grateful. Subsequent hunts to the area have revealed absolutely nothing. I should have posted much sooner but honestly forgot all about my treasurenet account.
Outstanding!!! Congrats!!! Great BDay Hunt!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Happy belated birthday.
Congratulations on the $5.00 gold piece and the dime.
Yes too bad it wasn't posted then as it would of probably made it up on the banner.
Still it's one of the best memories one could possibly have seeing a golden disk in the dirt.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 18th is only 8 days ago. That should still count as a current find......and banner find. :icon_thumright:

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2101563 Back on may the 18th of this year I went for my daily scouting drive in the central Sierra gold country. This particular area was one of the first mining districts in the state to be extensively mined. I saw a a flat ridgetop extending from the road next to a hydraulic pit overlooking the River. I parked my truck and walked about 100 yards while swinging the Deus. This area was swept by a devastating wildfire last fall and had burned any duff that covered the rocky subsoil. I caught the glimmer of gold and initially thought it was a bottle cap. As I bent over for a better look I saw the eagle and could not believe my eyes! I had just eyeballed an 1844 $5 gold piece! A spent the next 10 minutes in utter disbelief while while trying to pull myself together. It occurred to me I’d better search the area with a fine tooth comb. 5 feet away I dug an 1841 seated dime and couldn’t take anymore. It was the best birthday present ever and I was beyond grateful. Subsequent hunts to the area have revealed absolutely nothing. I should have posted much sooner but honestly forgot all about my treasurenet account.
Wow. Bucket lister for me alot of other people. Congrats and Happy Birthday

OP
OP
Knut dirtfisk

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 18th is only 8 days ago. That should still count as a current find......and banner find.
Yup he found it on the 18th of May. Over 3 months ago.
It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on here, it slipped my mind I guess. Can a new forum be created called finds from 12 fortnights ago?

OP
OP
Knut dirtfisk

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy belated birthday.
Congratulations on the $5.00 gold piece and the dime.
Yes too bad it wasn't posted then as it would of probably made it up on the banner.
Still it's one of the best memories one could possibly have seeing a golden disk in the dirt.
Please feel free to move this post wherever it best belongs, I’m having trouble trying to figure that out. I’m not fishing for banner votes, I just wanted to share the story and this is where I ended up.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please feel free to move this post wherever it best belongs, I’m having trouble trying to figure that out. I’m not fishing for banner votes, I just wanted to share the story and this is where I ended up.
Sadly, you slipped under the Banner radar, but this was still well worth sharing with the community. In future, I would suggest 'Best Finds' as the most relevant forum;

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup he found it on the 18th of May. Over 3 months ago.
Yeah, sorry, I didn't notice the "Back on May" bit off to the side of the photo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread