UNREAL!!! Exactly One Week Later...Another SILVER from the 1600s!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title almost says it all! Exactly one week ago I found my first silver dating to the 1600s...a 1691 or 1692 French 4 Sol. Today I went back to that field and had just finished hunting for a couple hours and found nothing but a small flat button and a decent quartz arrowhead. I promised the wife that I would be back home at 3pm to take the evening baby shift so at 2:45 I started heading back to the car. Yep, this is yet another one of those "I was on my way back to the car" finds!! Got a decent signal on the F75 and actually thought "Could it be another?" Yep!!! Unlike the first one I found this one is perfectly struck. Luckily the date side is clear but the other side is well worn. Gave it a quick non-intrusive cleaning and done! No doubt about the date on this one...1691!

Officially my oldest coin...again! ;D

Attachments

• more french silver 008.jpg
    more french silver 008.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,242
  • more french silver 006.jpg
    more french silver 006.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,227
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
That is the difference between you and Iron Patch. You dig those high hits and end up with 300 year old silver coins. He digs low hits and ends up with a button that is crumbly. You are definitely showing him that coins are the diggity dog. :laughing9: :headbang:

Kirk

Bad news for ya.. That coin is only 80% silver and it would be a lower hit just as many times as a coin hit, possibly more. It's the kind of 300 year old coin you could miss because you're not a button hunter. :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
I still haven't effectively gridded the area

So can you tell us what's wrong with you? :icon_scratch: Guess I'll have to tune in next Saturday!

My hunting time is limited. I'll get to it...probably before next Saturday...

So you're saying just one 1600s silver isn't enough to grid the area? ??? ??? :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice silver coin! That is just some cruddy patina build up, the reverse would clean up nicely if you dare. That kind of crud just might flake off of a silver coin. HH, Mike

I dare! Working on it now!

Of course.

I'm curious to see the odd line going into the letters. If it's an old scar, or detail from being struck over another coin. It does look raised like detail.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find there romeo..just can't get over your luck, then again mine hasn't been that bad either...congrats... maybe your next one will be mint...

Is it possilbe that someone hit that site before? and now that it's turned your getting more?? what about the corners or close to the woods??

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
That is the difference between you and Iron Patch. You dig those high hits and end up with 300 year old silver coins. He digs low hits and ends up with a button that is crumbly. You are definitely showing him that coins are the diggity dog. :laughing9: :headbang:

Kirk

Bad news for ya.. That coin is only 80% silver and it would be a lower hit just as many times as a coin hit, possibly more. It's the kind of 300 year old coin you could miss because you're not a button hunter. :laughing7:

That's true. Both came in at 45 on the F75 when newer higher grade silver comes in at 72 or higher.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmmmm could be a pine tree shilling around :sign13:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For the age they look great.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silver, amazing how many great finds are found coming and going from the vehicle. :thumbsup:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little late Romeo on this one but caught up with it. :laughing9: Anyway you are the 1600's Silver Coin King :headbang: :laughing9: :notworthy: As everyone likes the king deal :D :thumbsup: Buddy like your finds here lately with the indian things and for sure these 1600 coins you keep poping out the ground. :headbang: Glad I didn't miss This. :thumbsup:
Hope you the best! :hello:

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
The area is most known as a native camp thus all of the arrowheads and relics...I'll keep looking though!

Hmmmmm.... Makes me wonder if the natives attacked the settlers and robbed them. They might have given the coins to their kids to play with. Yeah, I do have an active imagination, lol...

Very nice coin. Congratulations!!!

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANGLANGLEY said:
romeo-1 said:
The area is most known as a native camp thus all of the arrowheads and relics...I'll keep looking though!

Hmmmmm.... Makes me wonder if the natives attacked the settlers and robbed them. They might have given the coins to their kids to play with. Yeah, I do have an active imagination, lol...

DANGLANGLEY

By the time the French had arrived the natives were long gone...which is unfortunate as I would love to stumble over some trade silver!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
DANGLANGLEY said:
romeo-1 said:

DANGLANGLEY

By the time the French had arrived the natives were long gone...which is unfortunate as I would love to stumble over some trade silver!

Wow, thanks for the history lesson. I'm glad you rescued that beauty from the ground. Keep on diggin!!!

DANGLANGLEY

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sun king; Louis the 14th and silver to boot, good job......Kane 23

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions