Unusual Picture, Corporal Stillwell, Co. G, 69 PA

Stickmarsh

May 17, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur & Sovereign
I bought an old book at a flea market titled “A History of the Civil War” which contains Matthew Brady's photographs. It seems the book was owned by a Civil War solider named Corporal Paul O. Stillwell of Company G, 69 PA. The interesting thing about the book is that Mr. Stillwell's picture is inside of the book. Stillwell wrote some comments on a few of the pages and pasted some newspaper clippings in the back of the book about his war experiences and his memories. The picture is the same size as the other pages, approximately 8.5 x 11. At first I thought the picture was pasted in, but it now looks as if it is a part of the book. I am not sure, but the picture looks like a photograph that has been colored or painted. Does anyone know if veterans could order this book with their picture included as a part of the book? Anyone have any information about this type of colorized picture or know what the picture might be worth?

Attachments

• CW1-1[1].jpg
    CW1-1[1].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 360
  • CW9-1[1].jpg
    CW9-1[1].jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 355
  • CW3-3[1].jpg
    CW3-3[1].jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 352
  • CW6-1[1].jpg
    CW6-1[1].jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 0

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Picture of Veteran, Corporal Stillwell, Co. G, 69 PA ??

You should bring that book to my kids highschool,where last year 11th. grade,they didn't even learn about the Civil War,because it might offend somebody!!,WHAT.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea on value. It was a very common thing to have done to the old tin types and pictures. I have quiet a few that were done also. Pretty neat isnt it? :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stickmarsh, that is a cool find. Unfortunately, he is a Yankee, so toss it in the trash and be done with it. (I'm jokin, we fought, but didn't suscribe to the politics.) Seriously, it would be cool if you could do some research and come up with his descendants. I like his writings, too.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I goggled his name a regt real quick and found a link the shows where he is buried if that is any help. You might to goggle him for yourself if you haven't already. I'm sure there is more info. I hope this helps. A very cool find.

www.69thpa.co.uk/page8.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread