Unusual unmarked 14k hinged-bail pendant, help?

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purchased this a few days ago from a seller who recently listed a clearly marked 10k chain & pendant as costume jewelry (nice $4/2.2g eBay score, gotta love those). It just came in the mail today, was hoping for another gold score and wasn't disappointed, however. I'm pretty confused by this piece, it is incredibly well made and tests at a strong 14k but I can't find any markings on it anywhere (confusing because in my experience something so nicely designed and well put together is going to be marked somehow, somewhere, although you guys have shown me that that's not always the case). Anybody have any ideas on style/era/anything? It's 1.25" long and weighs 3.6 grams.

ForumRunner_20141201_201717.png

ForumRunner_20141201_201813.png

ForumRunner_20141201_201906.png

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what you would call it other than an Ebony Teardrop pendant. I've never seen that style of clasp as anything other than an extra safety catch on a hidden box clasp, typically used in bracelets and necklaces. Nice looking piece.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
either black glass or black onyx ... it is a pendant that can be put on a necklace that the ends are too big etc... interchangeable etc.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's not the usual bail enhancer you would typically see used on a pendant. This is what I was referring to in my last post by it normally being used as a safety catch on a box clasp-

images

PS- I would lean towards it being black Onyx over glass being as how it is set in a 14k bezel

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score there!
I have a few pendants with that type bale. They fit on omega necklaces, usually, mine do. They make them so they are interchangeable and usually will not fit over the slide or the clasp mechanisms, if fixed or solid.
I think one of my blue topaz pendants is not marked also(the earrings that match are, but not the pendant). It could possibly be a custom made piece.
I see black onyx pieces(some of them), fetch a nice dollar. GL & HH.

eta: oh op, your screen name just slays me, lol!

Last edited:
OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info everyone, I'm going to just hold on to it for the time being I think. I am kind of leaning towards it being custom made as well, pat, shame I don't have the whole set. Also glad you like the screen name ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread