Unusually heavy

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_20180715_130722621_HDR.jpg IMG_20180715_130625840_HDR.jpg IMG_20180715_130343997.jpg
I was wondering if anyone knew what this might be. It has a silver and gold color and is rather heavy for its size.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to be confused with the OTHER streak test where one runs naked around some public setting. Happily that one died out in the 70s.
HH
dts

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not to be confused with the OTHER streak test where one runs naked around some public setting. Happily that one died out in the 70s.
HH
dts

You could try both ways, just to be sure, but I doubt the latter helps with ID.:laughing7:

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What does it mean if it leaves a yellow streak?

Not a whole heck of a lot Freemindedclark.

Streak tests are for minerals. Minerals are a specific combination of elements with a set of stable indicators including specific gravity, crystal form, fracture and streak. A specific mineral will have an identifiable streak color that in combination with the other factors I mentioned will help identify the mineral.

What you show in your picture is a rock. Rocks are composed of several different minerals. Those different minerals in combination do not produce an identifiable streak nor do the other identification tests I mentioned work on rocks.

What you are showing in your picture is a rock type often called mica schist. The mica is the sparkly part. Schist is not a group of specific minerals it's a description of a class of rock based on how the rock was formed. Schists are very common metamorphic rocks that have as many different minerals and forms as there are schist deposits. Rocks are like that - different wherever you find them.

The silver and gold colors are due to the refraction of light through the thin plate like crystals of mica. Mica in it's several forms is a common silicate and has no commercial value unless the mica crystal plates are very large (inches).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other

Streak tests are for minerals. Minerals are a specific combination of elements with a set of stable indicators including specific gravity, crystal form, fracture and streak. A specific mineral will have an identifiable streak color that in combination with the other factors I mentioned will help identify the mineral.

What you show in your picture is a rock. Rocks are composed of several different minerals. Those different minerals in combination do not produce an identifiable streak nor do the other identification tests I mentioned work on rocks.

What you are showing in your picture is a rock type often called mica schist. The mica is the sparkly part. Schist is not a group of specific minerals it's a description of a class of rock based on how the rock was formed. Schists are very common metamorphic rocks that have as many different minerals and forms as there are schist deposits. Rocks are like that - different wherever you find them.

The silver and gold colors are due to the refraction of light through the thin plate like crystals of mica. Mica in it's several forms is a common silicate and has no commercial value unless the mica crystal plates are very large (inches).

Thank you very much for the indepth response. It's cool that you took the time to explain things the way you did.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Good eye. I could not make out what we're dealing with from the pics.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread