Update: 1730 Silver coin ID HELP PLEASE!!!!!

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Update: 1739 Silver coin ID HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Yesterday I posted a few pics of what I believed to be a toasted silver coin for some ID help. It still had a lot of tarnish on it. There was some doubt over it being silver on here, but I took the advice of a fellow t-neter and used some baking soda/water to clean it up further. I can now clearly see a date of 1739. I also see the letters SI, _ _ _ (unreadable), DOM. In the center of the coin I see what appears to be a crown over a C. I knew it only made sense to be a colonial era silver at the site I was working. Thanks for advance for ID help!!!! I will try to get more letters/marking off the coin when I have better light and will also try for better pics

Attachments

• col1.jpg
    col1.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 357
  • col2.jpg
    col2.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 330
  • col3.jpg
    col3.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 329
  • col4.jpg
    col4.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks so thin could it be a wine or champagne seal? Nice find. I would also try in the what is it section for a positive I.D. Good save.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like 1739, its not British & I think its one of the Dutch provinces. I knew it was silver:thumbsup:

OP
OP
93vector

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
It looks so thin could it be a wine or champagne seal? Nice find. I would also try in the what is it section for a positive I.D. Good save.
I really don't think so, I am quit positive its a foreign silver worn that thin

OP
OP
93vector

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I think it's French. I have made out SIT NOM DOM on the outer ring of the coin after 1739. I have found similar coins reading this to be French. Unable to pinpoint it as of yet though

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any chance that the crowned C is stamped? In all other respects it looks like a french double sol of Louis XV including the foliage around the crowned C

OP
OP
93vector

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
The coin has definitely been stamped, but it doesn't appear to line up with the crown. I am thinking French colonies??

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It also looks like it may have been counter stamped? Cool find non the less!

jkamericana

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a French "sou marque" or 24 deniers that has been marked with the crowned C for Cayenne in 1779. These Cayenne pieces are generically called "black doggs," and they come on plain planchets and as counterstamps on top of these French billon coins. They also come as struck counterfeits, with the crowned C and bits of the sou marque design all in the die to make it look like a worn sou marque with a countermark. It's tough to be sure given the condition, but this looks like an authentic French coin that has later received the crowned C mark. Cool item! It's a long way from Cayenne to Rhode Island.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see those often at all, and never posted as a detecting find. Not a common coin but the condition, and improper cleaning, won't do it any favors.

If you can read the letter at the bottom you can determine the mint. Some mints are much more scarce or rare, but again condition is a huge factor. That being said, if you could clearly prove a rare/very rare mint for that year, and with that countermark, I'd have a buyer for it tomorrow.

Attachments

• col2a.jpg
    col2a.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me to be a "P" mint mark, meaning Dijon mint.... Quite a keeper. For some reason they placed the P facing the opposite way than the DOM when they minted those. Great find!
Like this one:
CoinArchives.com Lot Viewer

I was also thinking Dijon, just didn't say it not wanting to taint others thoughts. The DOM facing that way is normal. 1739-P is fairly common so there's more value in the countermark because if just a Sou Marque it would be worth very little.

If the P mint is in question it can also be confirmed by these marks if they can be seen in person.

Attachments

• image01494.jpg
    image01494.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 75

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread