Update: Before and After Pic of Cannister Shot

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ya'll, I just finished putting that cannister round I found last week through electrolysis. I put a coat of clear coat on it. I was debating on whether or not to put the clear coat on it so let me know what you guys think. (CivilMan and Kindafoundabuckle, this is what yours would look like)

Here is the before photo:
101_1100.JPG

And the after photos (one w/ my 6lber and 10lb Parrott for scale):

101_1114.JPG
cannister.JPG

Sentinel

Attachments

• 101_1100.JPG
    101_1100.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 714
  • 101_1114.JPG
    101_1114.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 713
  • cannister.JPG
    cannister.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 711
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cleaned up real nice! All those relics in the background look great as well. Congrats and HH, Mike

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This cannister shot come from near Seven Pines battlefield=Civil War

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very neat finds, WTG!!!
Also, nicw job on the clean up.
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SOLD....Excellent Job Sentinel.....Just tell me where to send it and it's gone.That turned out really nice.Thank's

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow Josh...that cleaned up really really nice.....!!!!

I noticed your hand too...before and after the wedding band!!!! Hope life is good. Working on the next Pipsico Hunt....be ready for it...bring the wife too!!

You'll have to give me your secret on cleaning that way...not that I have anything worth cleaning YET....but in due time ;).

HH,
Annmarie

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it cleaned up pretty good. Appreciate your thoughts and compliments

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh,
That is amazing!!! That piece came out great. Looks good as-is to me.
A few questions. I have a very nice electrolysis machine that they were getting rid of at work. I haven't done too much with it. It looks like it holds about a gallon of liquid. It also heats.
How do you use this to clean your finds?
Approx.length of time? (hours? days? weeks?)
Any solution you put in there besides just water?
Thanks and great find!
-Doug-

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent work!

Great results with the electrolysis. Kindafoundabuckle sounds like he's interested in having an electrolysis party this weekend. I have two eating utensils (a knife and a spoon) from CW sites, plus two iron stirrups, a Colonial pike, and several old padlocks I'd like to do. No telling what KFB has besides his cannister... Anyhow, if the glorious event happens, we'll do his without the clear coat and post a photo of it in this thread so that everyone can compare the results.

Cheers,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buckleboy, appreciate the compliment. Yeah, that electrolysis party sounds like great fun :D with the mushroom clouds and all :D HAHA Really though, it sounds like you have some great items to clean and would love to be there with you guys to see those stirrups cleaned up in real life. I like to do mine on a rainy day or when I dont have time to detect.....gives me that same kind of boost. ;) I hope you guys do get together and 'cook' those relics. I know I as well as others would definitely get a kick out of seeing them once there clean! ;)

Sentinel :)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sentinel, that canister shot turned out amazing!

What sort of output voltage are you using and for how long? Just curious because I have some iron stuff "on hold" until I can decide what I want to do with them.

Thanks!

Spartacus

Aug 17, 2007
I just love your whole CW collection. I just got into MD-ing especially to hunt for those relics; and I am looking forward to heading south before all the battlefields disappear. I am still amazed at the amount of goodies being found nearly 150 years after the fact. You seem to have a knack to search all the right places; are you using period dated maps overlaid over present day ones?

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watercolor, I use a varing amount of power when I do my relics. My main pot has a 12v 2 and 6 amp power source and I usually monitor the relics closely but something such as this I would 'cook' for about 4 hours give or take depending on how much rust buildup. I would also give it a quick 6amp shock of about 20-30min inbetween. But I have other pots set up as well with varying voltages and amps for different jobs. Different types of anodes play another important role in how and what your cooking and how it comes out.

Spartacus, I have been researching the Civil War for years. It just happens that where I live there was ALOT of Civil War action but it takes good research to find the good spots today as most have been hit and are MUCH less productive than in prior years. I use old maps, word of mouth from old timers, but the two BIGGEST items that help me find the good stuff are: #1 The mircrofilm rolls in our local university which have all the old newspapers, the Richmond Dispatch, Harpers Weekly, local papers, etc etc. #2 THE ATLAS of the Civil War is an INDISPENSABLE tool to the Civil War relic hunter....It really is a must have book. It is the size of a school desktop but worth its weight in gold. ;)

Hope this helps...

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That turned out wonderful. I hope mine looks as half as good as yours after I shock it. I will do it this weekend and post some pics in your thread when done. If you dont hear back from me we most likely drank to much and tapped into the breaker box to speed the process up. ;D

KFB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread