Update from Queen Annes Revenge

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
**Internet disclaimer: I generally believe this is a wonderful thing….some sarcasm might not read well on the Internet

Doesn’t this defy In situ preservation and the UNESCO doctrine?

While doing some research the other day I found that Texas archaeologists recovered artifacts off of what is possibly a 1554 wreck to include a keel piece!!

They even used mailboxes in their excavations!!!

SO I guess not ALL archaeologists DO believe in In situ preservation or they believe in do as I say not as I do?

As a taxpayer I’m not sure I like my money going to assistance of this project. Among several issues one could be that it opens the door for bureaucrats taking “dive vacations” on tax dollars. Funds could possibly be used elsewhere for the betterment of “the people”.

As a historian and archaeologist I think it’s wonderful that it is being done. There certainly are plenty of Govt funds being wasted on less important (IMHO) things, but as above in a perfect world the funds could be better used.
I guess this is where my plug for private sector salvage comes in....:headbang:

The next part of the article that is interesting to me is $450,000 is ONLY enough funding for ONE year!!! That’s without the salaries for state archaeologists!! They stated it includes operating the lab, but geez that’s a whole lot of money!!!

The other side of the coin is welcome to the world of historical shipwreck artifact recovery without a bottomless purse!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread