*** UPDATE *** My Beach Brute scoop cracked

Night Hunter

Jul 30, 2009
As I got out of the water yesterday I noticed that my Beach Brute scoop looked a little different. Taking a closer look I noticed that where the shaft is welded to a brace and the brace is welded to the scoop, the scoop was concaved in and cracked. The weld wasn’t crack from the scoop rather the scoop cracked where it was welded. I don’t believe I scooped anything that would be considered over straining. I looked on kellyco’s website to see if there was any warranty for the Beach Brute and saw nothing. I called Kellyco to find out Beach Brute had a 90 day warranty, unfortunately I have had mine around eight months. They provided me with the company’s name (“Reilly's Treasured Gold”) and phone number. Reilly's Treasured Gold is closed on Mondays so I will see what they say about it tomorrow. If they aren’t able to do anything about it, I am hoping a few beads of weld will prevent it from being further damaged. I absolutely love this scoop, out of the four scoops I own; by far this is the best one.

Attachments

• crack1.jpg
    crack1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 636
  • crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 614
  • scoop1.jpg
    scoop1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 626
  • scoop2.jpg
    scoop2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 633
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Beach Brute scoop cracked

A weld shop can fix it up in no time and it is cheaper than buying a new scoop.

good luck,
Sandman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pockets had the same problem and had the maker reweld it when we were by his shop. When I get hope I can give you the contact web address, but unless your in Florida, it would be cheaper to get it fixed local. I will add to this when I get home.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

That's called a toe crack and was probably due to undercut. The undercut is probably due to excess heat. Do not grind it out with a carbon stone or file as carbon deposits will jeopardize the repair. The weld face must be free of impurities. A professional weld shop can make the repair if they use correct preparation. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pockets, if you can, take a pic and show him how they fixed yours...........

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

A professional with a MIG welder can fix that up in a very short time and at a nominal cost. :thumbsup:

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bubble gum an some super glue,An some redneck tape :tongue3: :laughing7:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have had 4 scoops in hopw long of a time spand. Why did you get rid of the other 3. I have had my scoop for 25 yrs now......Matt

OP
OP
Night Hunter

Night Hunter

Jul 30, 2009

mlayers said:
You have had 4 scoops in hopw long of a time spand. Why did you get rid of the other 3. I have had my scoop for 25 yrs now......Matt

Matt,
When I first was introduced into detecting I bought two detectors and two scoops. The sales man I dealt with convinced me to buy smaller scoops (5"across 8"deep). He said they won’t weigh as much since I would be carrying one all day. Not ever detecting before I fell for that silly reason. I wasn’t seasoned enough to realize I would be dragging it or caring it in the water. After digging eight or more scoops to recover a deeper target I realized a larger scoop would cut my digging time in half. My third scoop was the stainless steel nettles scoop. This scoop is a nice scoop, although there were a few things I didn’t care for. The nettles scoop has a fiberglass handle filled with foam. When retrieving a target out of the scoop in chest deep water, the handle tends to float up and force the scoop back under the water. This scoop also has half inch holes drilled in it, I would prefer larger holes. And last the nettles scoop is very pointy, and where I can see this could be an advantage in a lot of scenarios, for me, while in the water I had a hard time positioning the point of the scoop on the bottom while waves pass me by. After using the Beach Brute for the last few months, I would be surprised if there is a better scoop out there for me.

OP
OP
Night Hunter

Night Hunter

Jul 30, 2009

I spoke to Joe at Reilly's Treasured Gold about the crack on the Beach Brute.
He said it shouldn’t be a problem to repair it, and mentioned that he had just repaired a similar one. I am assuming he was referring to Pockets scoop. I asked about adding a little extra support and Joe said that shouldn't be a problem eather. He told me that Lorraine was out of town until Thursday, and that she would call me then, regarding who would pay for the shipping. I asked Joe about there stainless steel scoops and if they ever had a similar problem. He told me that the stainless steel scoops tend to be a lot more durable at the price of being a lot heavier, almost double the weight. To Joe’s knowledge the S.S. scoops haven’t had this type of problem.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

Look's like they have a design or weld procedure problem, if this is happening more than a few times?

"Ps. My Welds look prettier.."

Yeah... mind does too!

weld.jpg

This isn't aluminum... or steel... or even stainless.
It's titanium.

Hope to have it finished by this weekend... it'll be my first titanium beach scoop!

-Wayne

OP
OP
Night Hunter

Night Hunter

Jul 30, 2009
To day I received my repaired Beach Brute back from Reilly's Treasured Gold.
I wanted to give a special thanks to Loraine for making this right. :icon_thumright: What a great company.

I also had them add a stainless steal tip to the Brute.

Attachments

• IMG_4347.JPG
    IMG_4347.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_4349.JPG
    IMG_4349.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_4350.JPG
    IMG_4350.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_4352.JPG
    IMG_4352.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 309

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe and the rest are top notch as is Reilly's Treasure Gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread