Update on 1787 Connecticut Copper ***VERY RARE VARIETY WITH 13-20 KNOWN***

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Well, first off, I'm glad to say that we have gotten off of the skunk mobile, IP. :laughing9:

KKC (KirkKyleChris) got out to a new site on March 21 that I had researched. After I presented the research to Chris, he secured the permission like a champ. Our group is all about the team effort. One guy never does all of the work to get into a new vanished site.

The day started off with the usual buttons and Colonial dwelling relics. I ended the day with 14 buttons, the most I ever dug in one day.

Then, it happened, folks! BAM! 1839 Coronet cent! 15 minutes later, BAM! 1810 Classic Head half cent! 30 minutes later, BAM! King George III halfpenny! I was ecstatic at this point, as you will see in the attached video of my recoveries! 20 minutes later, BAM! 1801 Draped Bust large cent! I ended the day with probably my best condition copper so far! I filmed the recovery from start to end, and you will see my excitement when I saw the shape that it was in! My last copper, which was my 5th for the day, turned out to be a very nice 1787 Connecticut copper!

KKC ended the day with 10 coppers on Sunday! We will be swinging over the ground this Sunday, so stay tuned for more recoveries!

Here is the video of the coppers:

Here is an update on the variety of my Connecticut copper from a well-known expert:

Hi Kyle:
It came through loud and clear.
In my opinion you have a 1787 Miller 33.38-gg.1.
The diagnostics are great on the reverse. As you see, there is a large die crack through the D, through the stem of the laurel branch and into the figure's waist. That is diagnostic of a late die gg.1 state. Combined with that reverse there are only four obverses and only the 33.38 matches yours.

It is a very rare coin with an estimate 13 to 20 known as a high R-6. In recent auctions undamaged ones have sold in the $1000 vicinity.

Attachments

• Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 522
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 517
  • March Bonanza 018.JPG
    March Bonanza 018.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,802
  • March Bonanza 021.JPG
    March Bonanza 021.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 3,778
  • March Bonanza 023.JPG
    March Bonanza 023.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,774
  • March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,760
  • Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Five Variety Copper Bonanza *Video Included*

gunntekk1 said:
i can't believe thet they are rubbing the heck out of those coins that could be disasterous

It is copper, so it won't hurt it. :wink: We don't rub at silver. :wink:

Kirk

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac

Hey guys... decaf is available in PA now :-) Seriously... you guys rock! I love the energy and the passion!

I grew up in PA...New castle way.... above Pgh...

HH!
Paul

U

umrgolf

Holy moly.. I can't even tell what you guys are saying :laughing9: :laughing9: that video is sweet though... what a day :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jfx55 said:
did you offer any finds to the land owner ? good jester could get you back in when other spots dry up.

We have never given any of our finds to the landowners. None of them are even half interested either. Every coin I ever found is still in my collection to this day and will be when I pass them down to my future children. :wink:

Kirk

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sir Kyle,
I saw your post earlier, but finally have time to reply. I didn't want to just rush in and give a standard "congrats" on an unbelievable hunt like you guys had. These kinds of these deserve much more. I have created another photographic masterpiece that I know you will no doubt want to hang on your wall. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Last week after seeing Kirk's reale post, it gave me motivation to go out and detect a soybean field that day. No reale for me, but it was an inspiration. Now this week both of you post some amazing finds, AND have videos to go with them.
A job well done guys!!! :occasion14:
I'm sure a lot of us are waiting to see what you guys find next. Tell Chris to keep rolling film. :director: :director2:
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Doug-

Attachments

• Field of dreams.jpg
    Field of dreams.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 3,006
OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

ModernMiner said:
Sir Kyle,
I saw your post earlier, but finally have time to reply. I didn't want to just rush in and give a standard "congrats" on an unbelievable hunt like you guys had. These kinds of these deserve much more. I have created another photographic masterpiece that I know you will no doubt want to hang on your wall. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Last week after seeing Kirk's reale post, it gave me motivation to go out and detect a soybean field that day. No reale for me, but it was an inspiration. Now this week both of you post some amazing finds, AND have videos to go with them.
I'm sure a lot of us are waiting to see what you guys find next. Tell Chris to keep rolling film. :director: :director2:
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Doug-

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

That Colonial conversation had me bursting out in obnoxious laughter. :laughing9: :laughing9: I love the part where the guy says, "I hope they turn up some day." :laughing9: Hilarious, Dug, fricking hilarious!! :laughing9: :laughing9:

Keep hitting those fields and listening for the concentration of iron. When you find it, Colonial goods of every variety will be found by a fella swinging a mighty Tesoro! :headbang:

Take care, Dug, and thank you for the laughter that pic brought me. :laughing9: :laughing9:

Sir Kyle

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
ModernMiner said:
Sir Kyle,
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Doug-

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

That Colonial conversation had me bursting out in obnoxious laughter. :laughing9: :laughing9: I love the part where the guy says, "I hope they turn up some day." :laughing9: Hilarious, Dug, fricking hilarious!! :laughing9: :laughing9:

Keep hitting those fields and listening for the concentration of iron. When you find it, Colonial goods of every variety will be found by a fella swinging a mighty Tesoro! :headbang:

Take care, Dug, and thank you for the laughter that pic brought me. :laughing9: :laughing9:

Sir Kyle

Check out those sweet buckles! ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No problem buddy.
The neighbor gave me a strange look when I was laying in the grass playing with dolls (guy dolls too) trying to get a ground level photo. :tongue3: :laughing9:
You guys rock! :headbang:
-Doug-

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

ModernMiner said:
No problem buddy.
The neighbor gave me a strange look when I was laying in the grass playing with dolls (guy dolls too) trying to get a ground level photo. :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Doug-

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Gotta love grown men laying in the grass and playing with their dolls. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
No problem buddy.
-Doug-

Probably wouldn't have been as much of an issue had you not been wearing your pretty dress. ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
No problem buddy.
-Doug-

Probably wouldn't have been as much of an issue had you not been wearing your pretty dress. ;D

Remind me to throw that bright pink mini skirt away! It is no longer flattering at my age. It looks more like a tank top now. :laughing9:
Now where did I leave those pumps? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
No problem buddy.
-Doug-

Remind me to throw that bright pink mini skirt away! It is no longer flattering at my age. It looks more like a tank top now. :laughing9:

I wonder how many people reading this actually get it. I mean know the history of your cross-dressing post. ;D

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

5 at one pass is wonderful That '39 is really something. Hope you score more and share the experience via video. Hope KKC shows off his finds as well. Like to see that kind of coinage.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
No problem buddy.
-Doug-

I wonder how many people reading this actually get it. I mean know the history of your cross-dressing post. ;D

LMAO!!! Good point. Ah, those were the good ol' daze. :occasion14: :love1:
I think Nana still has those pictures. ;D
-Doug-

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
No problem buddy.
-Doug-

-Doug-

Is it still on or did you delete it? Would be a funny thread to bump back!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
No problem buddy.
-Doug-

-Doug-

Is it still on or did you delete it? Would be a funny thread to bump back!

God I hope it's gone. Even my kids still have nightmares after that. ;D
-Doug-

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I sent my picture to an expert and he gave me the variety!!! See the e-mail response up top!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread