Update on 1787 Connecticut Copper ***VERY RARE VARIETY WITH 13-20 KNOWN***

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Well, first off, I'm glad to say that we have gotten off of the skunk mobile, IP. :laughing9:

KKC (KirkKyleChris) got out to a new site on March 21 that I had researched. After I presented the research to Chris, he secured the permission like a champ. Our group is all about the team effort. One guy never does all of the work to get into a new vanished site.

The day started off with the usual buttons and Colonial dwelling relics. I ended the day with 14 buttons, the most I ever dug in one day.

Then, it happened, folks! BAM! 1839 Coronet cent! 15 minutes later, BAM! 1810 Classic Head half cent! 30 minutes later, BAM! King George III halfpenny! I was ecstatic at this point, as you will see in the attached video of my recoveries! 20 minutes later, BAM! 1801 Draped Bust large cent! I ended the day with probably my best condition copper so far! I filmed the recovery from start to end, and you will see my excitement when I saw the shape that it was in! My last copper, which was my 5th for the day, turned out to be a very nice 1787 Connecticut copper!

KKC ended the day with 10 coppers on Sunday! We will be swinging over the ground this Sunday, so stay tuned for more recoveries!

Here is the video of the coppers:

Here is an update on the variety of my Connecticut copper from a well-known expert:

Hi Kyle:
It came through loud and clear.
In my opinion you have a 1787 Miller 33.38-gg.1.
The diagnostics are great on the reverse. As you see, there is a large die crack through the D, through the stem of the laurel branch and into the figure's waist. That is diagnostic of a late die gg.1 state. Combined with that reverse there are only four obverses and only the 33.38 matches yours.

It is a very rare coin with an estimate 13 to 20 known as a high R-6. In recent auctions undamaged ones have sold in the $1000 vicinity.

Attachments

• Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 522
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 517
  • March Bonanza 018.JPG
    March Bonanza 018.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,802
  • March Bonanza 021.JPG
    March Bonanza 021.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 3,778
  • March Bonanza 023.JPG
    March Bonanza 023.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,774
  • March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,760
  • Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
timekiller said:
KylePA said:
Thank you, Doug, Pete, Dawg, and others, for sticking with your banner votes! I greatly appreciate all of them.

If the moderators decide not to put it up there, I will respect their decision.

Kyle
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :thumbsup:
::) ::) ::) :dontknow: :thumbsup:
Too bad the moderators don't seem to know that this is banner worthy. Guys, let's get with the program. Is making the banner a popularity contest or is it really a way to reward fellow treasurenet hunters for finding something special? :dontknow:

I second that! It's just not right. :nono:
-Doug-

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh well, in our minds, you are on the Banner. It just doesn't make sense though. I have seen items that would sell for only $250-$500 on there, but your copper at a $1,000 or more isn't on there. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

We must continue to post good stuff.

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Oh well, in our minds, you are on the Banner. It just doesn't make sense though. I have seen items that would sell for only $250-$500 on there, but your copper at a $1,000 or more isn't on there. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Kirk

There has been finds worth a lot less than that! My cob is only a $40 coin.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Sickens me even more. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Kirk

U

umrgolf

Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

My 1788 2.5 reales aren't even worth that :laughing9: :laughing9: This is comical

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be worst I don't even know what my two banners are worth! :laughing9: And would let them take them off up there to put his on if they would. :thumbsup: But I know myself that some of the things I have found don't come easy and there for if you want to buy them better come with some green backs :laughing7: I also know that to find things like WE do it's not just go out and start blindly detecting that's for sure.So saying that by it self is enough to know a good find when WE see one. :headbang:
Pete!

MinelabSwinger

May 17, 2009
Re: Five Variety Copper Bonanza *Video Included*

Kirk PA said:
gunntekk1 said:
i can't believe thet they are rubbing the heck out of those coins that could be disasterous

It is copper, so it won't hurt it. :wink: We don't rub at silver. :wink:

Kirk
I do hope this is sarcasm. A few years back I had the honor of hunting a hunt in PA. It was a paid hunt but natural finds, Not seeded with tokens. Not 10 feet from me I watched a guy dig a copper coin. After digging this coin he started rubbing it back and forth on his jeans like he was trying to build up enough friction to warm his leg. He was successful in knocking about 14000$ off the value of a very valuable 1694 New England Elephant token. I could watch the detail disappear before my eyes. It vent from a EF to a F at best. Tragic considering that coin sat in the ground for 200+ years with its detail intact. Less than a minute out of the ground and some inbreed is treating it like Ike Turner would treat Tina!

MinelabSwinger

May 17, 2009
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Kirk
I did not think that the purpose of the banner was to showcase the most valuable items found. Only the most notable. I am sure if enough people vote it up there then that is where it will be found. But raising such a stink about it NOT being there ensures it will more than likely NOT make it up. The banner is the first thing a new member or first time site guest will notice. Do you really think that the admin on the site want someone's first impression to be tainted by people whining and b**ching because they feel slighted? Perhaps Jeff just has not had the time to add this to the banner? I know that you guys have a decent following on this site as I have followed your posts myself for some time. I often wanted to point out to you that it is not the number of posts but the quality of posts. Your threads always end up off on some goofy tangent and quite honestly they are hard to follow. Maybe that could be the reason why this coin is not on the banner? That being said.... Keep tearing up the coppers! Great find!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MinelabSwinger said:
Kirk PA said:
gunntekk1 said:
i can't believe thet they are rubbing the heck out of those coins that could be disasterous

Kirk
I do hope this is sarcasm. A few years back I had the honor of hunting a hunt in PA. It was a paid hunt but natural finds, Not seeded with tokens. Not 10 feet from me I watched a guy dig a copper coin. After digging this coin he started rubbing it back and forth on his jeans like he was trying to build up enough friction to warm his leg. He was successful in knocking about 14000$ off the value of a very valuable 1694 New England Elephant token. I could watch the detail disappear before my eyes. It vent from a EF to a F at best. Tragic considering that coin sat in the ground for 200+ years with its detail intact. Less than a minute out of the ground and some inbreed is treating it like Ike Turner would treat Tina!

I've dug a heck of a lot of coppers and never seen one with a grade as strong as EF that could be rubbed and the detail start to disappear. Why do I have a very funny feeling even though the coin books for $40,000 in fine (2006 redbook) the finder kept it, so there is no record of sale? In the last 5 years there has been two of these found that I have seen posted, and in both cases they turned out to be copies, at least one an old copy. My best recollection is that one finder accepted it, and the other did not and never clarified the issue.

What they do in the video is definitely not hurting a corroded copper coin in the sense of wiping away strong detail. If the detail was all in the patina or had bad flaking, or both, that can certainly be another story.... but none in that type of condition are even VG in grade, they're one stop from blank.

U

umrgolf

MinelabSwinger said:
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Kirk
I did not think that the purpose of the banner was to showcase the most valuable items found. Only the most notable. I am sure if enough people vote it up there then that is where it will be found. But raising such a stink about it NOT being there ensures it will more than likely NOT make it up. The banner is the first thing a new member or first time site guest will notice. Do you really think that the admin on the site want someone's first impression to be tainted by people whining and b**ching because they feel slighted? Perhaps Jeff just has not had the time to add this to the banner? I know that you guys have a decent following on this site as I have followed your posts myself for some time. I often wanted to point out to you that it is not the number of posts but the quality of posts. Your threads always end up off on some goofy tangent and quite honestly they are hard to follow. Maybe that could be the reason why this coin is not on the banner? That being said.... Keep tearing up the coppers! Great find!

I certainly agree the banner is to showcase notable finds and is not a value display... However, if it's based on how notable the find is wouldn't you agree that a coin with less than 20 known is of some significance. Also no one is forcing you to read all the replies to everyone's topics if you find them so hard to follow.. They seem very simple to understand. These replies have NOTHING to do with why the coin isn't on the banner, but it's a good theory. Maybe Jeff will deem you assistant moderator soon.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
MinelabSwinger said:
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Kirk

I certainly agree the banner is to showcase notable finds and is not a value display... However, if it's based on how notable the find is wouldn't you agree that a coin with less than 20 known is of some significance. Also no one is forcing you to read all the replies to everyone's topics if you find them so hard to follow.. They seem very simple to understand. These replies have NOTHING to do with why the coin isn't on the banner, but it's a good theory. Maybe Jeff will deem you assistant moderator soon.

Hey, you just saved me two minutes typing! :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:
MinelabSwinger said:
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Kirk

Hopefully all these extra replies don't get too confusing

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:
MinelabSwinger said:
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Kirk

Ok I'm lost now. :laughing9: :wink:

U

umrgolf

Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:
MinelabSwinger said:
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Kirk

Huh? :laughing9:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MinelabSwinger said:
Kirk PA said:
gunntekk1 said:

Kirk

You can't rub detail off the coin. LOL We have experience with this and the detail is usually in the patina. Seriously, get your facts right before responding.

Kirk

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:
MinelabSwinger said:
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Kirk

Huh? :laughing9:
:o :laughing9: lost another vote

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000