Update on a BAD day

Bobbert

Greenie
Sep 1, 2004
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hello again, I told you about calling the Forestry Service in my last post today. So I was really wanting to do some detecting today so I went up to the Town office here in Andrews NC. I asked the lady there about the rules in the town about detecting in the parks around town. She went and got the boss and he told me that the parks belong to the town and anything I would find belongs to the town. Well I said thanks, shook my head and came back home. I told my wife I was ready to move back to Florida. I could go the the beach anytime and never had a problem at all. Well thanks for reading and good luck to all of you.

Bob

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who owns the town? The taxpayer's do, and you're one of them. go hunting and forget about it.

Raisinkain

Jul 14, 2005
Roseboro
That is too bad that they can not see the benifits, but you are dealing with a small little town in the mountains. Maybe some arrowhead hunting or something until the next town council meeting? :P

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well... if everything in the park is the "property" of said town, I'd say, go ahead and detect your little heart out. Save ALL finds, including that bag of pull tabs, bent spoons, rusty nails and spent bullets in its own bag, & probably leave in a few corroded pennies, too. Then return it to the town hall. Hey, it's theirs, right?

Maybe that isn't such a good idea, really. But doesn't it make a nifty daydream?! ::)

HH
Nan
::)

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Sounds like you live in a Communist town....that really sucks. I had a police sport utility vehicle come up to me in a park yesterday...They were pretty cool. They just told me to watch my deep digging when the park maintenance is around me. Maintenance could file a complaint, then the police would have to act upon that and make me stop. But otherwise, they told me to have fun, and just keep an eye out when digging. I really don't think I could live in a town where parks don't belong to the 'Public'. Federal or Historical/Memorial parks are different, but "Public" parks?? Give me a break!!! If you can't detect those parks and be able to keep your finds, you've got only one solution.....Move out of the Communist town.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Keep trying. Maybe you just didn't get the right person. Don't give up its worth it!

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Unless there is an ordinance that states you cannot detect in a public park or keep your finds, or if the town is unincorporated and falls under any forestry regulations that prohibit detecting or keeping your finds or digging up antiquities, then you should be free to detect to your heart's content. Best to first check up on whatever laws apply there before you do anything.

Ray

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Go talk to the Mayer. Remind him that you VOTE!
Joe

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
roswellborn said:
Well... if everything in the park is the "property" of said town, I'd say, go ahead and detect your little heart out. Save ALL finds, including that bag of pull tabs, bent spoons, rusty nails and spent bullets in its own bag, & probably leave in a few corroded pennies, too. Then return it to the town hall. Hey, it's theirs, right?

Maybe that isn't such a good idea, really. But doesn't it make a nifty daydream?! ::)

HH
Nan
::)

Actually it sounds like a GREAT idea. Just hunt in all-metal mode and detect your heart out. Dig every signal that you know to be trash. DO NOT dig ONE SINGLE THING that can even possibly be a good target. Put it all in a bag, make sure the guy's in, and take it to him. Tell him that he said it belongs to the town, so here ya go. Every single pulltab, bottlecap, bobby pin, foil ball, cruddy zinc pennies, washers, screws, nuts, bolts, wire snips, light bulb bases, zipper pulls, grommets, eraser ends, thumb tacks, ALL OF IT!!! Do this until he tells you to quit bugging him with it. Then you can detect all you want. This guy's out to take your finds and pocket them, he doesn't care a lick about it being "The Town's". Better yet, don't take it to HIM...take it to the MAYOR instead, with an explanation why you're giving it to him and who said everything you found belonged to the town. Do this a few times and you'll be able to detect and be bugged by nobody.

HH,
SgtSki

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Screw that. Go detect until someone calls the cops on you. When the cop shows up ask him/her. If they aren't aware of a rule or law, and it isn't posted that you can't detect, THERE ISN'T ONE! (shocker) Chances are, this guy at the town is clueless and knows he is clueless and just to cover his own @$$ told you that you had to turn everything in. He didn't want to do the work to look it up or ask someone, and just wanted you to go away. Bottom line.
I say go detect. If someone still gives you an issue, keep a separate pocket for the goodies and take your "rake" of pull tabs to this guy every week throwing in an odd penny here and there. If he starts to get suspicious tell him he is welcome to come to the park with you (at 5 am on a work day) and watch you dig. Keep the headphones on and spend about 3 hours only digging the garbage and every once and a while a penny or dime. After a couple hours digging pull tabs and penny's he will leave you alone.

BeerBottleTom

Greenie
Oct 17, 2006
IL
NEVER OPEN A CAN OF WORMS!!!!!!!!
Ask Private property owners but never go to a city hall.Its always NO
GO DO IT...

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Have you tried farm field hunting?
With a rich native american history and white dwellers since the early 1800s,I would think the 40,000 acres of farm land would provide some productive hunting.
Maybe time to start asking permission.
Also, on the Andrews website, there is a "Tips to the chief" area where you can e-mail the chief of police directly.Maybe ask the big guys permission directly??

Delaware_Gopher

Dec 29, 2006
New Castle, Delaware
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V & Matrix M6
Then just have a separate pouch for "town finds" and put the zinc pennies and trash in there. Be sure to turn it in too! ;) Politicians lie to us every single day. Do they expect us to be honest with them?

Here in Delaware we can't hunt the State Parks or property. However, County Parks are open...and there are a ton of them. Also, plenty of old private property which I haven't had too much problem getting permission.

Best,
Brian

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
I;d go ahead and hammer those parks.Be sure to give that guy all the trash you dig and don;t forget to smile .HH...Panz

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Ask for the rules, not someones opinion. Who ever you talked to doesn't make law, he was talking out his butt. I've hunted there in the 80's and didn't ask permission in the Parks...BUT make sure there are no laws on the books because some city's(Statesville) DO have laws that prohibit detecting. READ the laws and not a persons opinion and you will do better!! Good Luck and enjoy!!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I have been asked to leave a town park once... ONCE in my life... detecting since the 1970s...

I never asked permission for a town park... just sayin'

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones
And how is the town officals gonna know what your finding are they gonna have someone standing over your shoulder waiting for you to pull out a coin? Just go for it put your good finds in your pocket and the trash in your pouch and if and thats a big IF some stops you show them the trash and some clad and tell them city hall said its ok to detect but it belongs to them, if its the po po they can not search you without probable cause and seeing as detecting is not breaking the law you've got nothing to worry about. Go for it and HH

catskillcomics

Oct 26, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I don't know who you spoke to, but I would go to the Park supervisor, he may have a different point of view on the metal detecting. What I did, is emailed the park supervisor, explained to him that I wouldn't dig in the ball fields and soccer fields,and that I would make sure all my holes filled properly as if I wasn't even there.. they supervised my progress for about a week (just checking my holes) and never saw them again after that.. Hope your luck with change with the town
(ps, if it was me I would go do it anyways, and pea ignorance if approached) :)

Tinman

Jul 5, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, 9" Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It sounds like you found Barney ???....Go find Andy. ;D

Seriously though, maybe start with a sharpened screwdriver for some surface finds in this area and then head over to Fontana brother.
I hunted a school and park in Denver with this low impact method last Sunday. It was tough at first, but I started to get the hang of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread