Update on finds, archaeological dig...

george77

Greenie
May 31, 2007
Harrisburg, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Hi Folks,

Great to be here. Finally bought a detector and got out there. My first "find", aside from trash, ironically was not metal, but was a $20 gift card for Blockbuster Video, found at a playground.

The next time out, detecting in the woods where I played as a kid, I found my first coins, all clad, 28 cents. But then, my fifth coin was a real surprise--an 1897 Barber dime. It was just sitting out in the open on the edge of an eroded ledge, near what was probably an old train stop platform from long ago. Tragically, the coin is bent and gouged, probably by having been stepped on in this very rocky land.

In that same vicinity I found a lead musket ball, probably from colonial times, again sitting on top of the ground, just under a brush pile.

But some of the best finds were found just by watching the ground. I found a Native American shard of pottery with diagonal-horizontal-diagonal design (seemingly typical of the northeastern tribes of 1400-1650, or so), probably owned by the Susquehannock or Iroquois, or perhaps Delaware people. Also found a broken piece of stone jewelery, appearing to have been a pendant or gorget. The eyelet drill hole was a dead giveaway that it was Native American. It's made of a dull green rock. And finally, I also had found what might be a stone musket ball, as these were sometimes made and used instead of lead.

I've done a lot of local history research, which has paid off in a way. It's about my hometown, so I had several motives to learn about it. But anyway, this area I was searching in sits either nearby or right on top of a pre-colonial to colonial-times Native American town. However, I believe it also sits on top of what used to be the town dump of the pre-waste management time period. And then, to further complicate things, there's been plenty of partying, exploring and bike trail making going on for the last 30 years or so. Needless to say it is an extremely trashy site. But as we've seen, it does pay off to give such places a thorough look.

I'll try to get some pictures on here. My only digital camera is a cheap keychain camera, though. So, my apologies if they are not discernible.

Happy Hunting,
George

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,383

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Lifelong obsession finally realized! First finds...

Very nice post George, good first finds and welcome aboard. HH

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, that camera takes real good pictures of shadows. ;D

Nice finds, who needs a metal detector

Keep @ it and HH!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like a great spot. Go over it a few more times. I'm sure something else will pop up. Go nice and slooooooooow.

R

RUDY2003

Excellent finds George! Keep it up. It only gets better...
Keep safe...

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

some nice finds george ! i'd be willing to say that your gonna be posting some really great stuff in the future, keep swinging that detector and let us know what you find ! congrats ;)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome & good luck :)

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That picture is pretty good. Nice post and great finds too. Sounds like you have done some good research for your first hunt. Congratulations on your first finds and welcome to the gang.

DANGLANGLEY

Attachments

• license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,218

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

very nice finds ... the Indian finds are espeically cool, I hunt a similar spot that has produced a lot of Indian artifacts over the years

It is located very near the Susquehanna River and was inhabited by the Susquhanock and Iroquois Indians - are you in PA as well ?

vp

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

George, welcome to Tnet!!

Great finds!! Where are you from??

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice finds

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.

Cool finds, grats.

OP
OP
G

george77

Greenie
May 31, 2007
Harrisburg, Pa.
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys (and gals). To answer the questions of vpone and eathabs, yes, I'm from Pennsylvania. South Central Pa., to be more precise. On the Susquehanna river, near Harrisburg.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

I nice assortment you have there. I look forward to seeing some more of what your area holds!
Welcome to tnet and Best o' luck hunting!

~Nash~

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Nice finds, and welcome to TN. Pretty good for your first finds; I've been doing this for two months and haven't found anything old yet.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to TNet George. Great finds. A Barber right off the bat.

HH

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro

Welcome to Tnet and congrats on the finds. Looks like you have a good site there. The picture is ok. I have seen worse on here. HH Ted

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007

Way to go George.Nice finds too.I finally broke down and bought myself a detector after wanting one for 35 years too.My best finds so far are 3 wheat pennies for the teens.
HH,Jim

OP
OP
G

george77

Greenie
May 31, 2007
Harrisburg, Pa.
Detector(s) used
It's been so long, I figure I'll need to reintroduce myself...

Here's what this post is in reference to: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,89973.msg644029.html#msg644029

All told, at my childhood park, I found an 1897 Barber dime, 1918 Mercury dime, 1882 Indian Head penny, 1880's or 1890's Indian Head penny, 1910 Wheat penny, 1 nearly palm-sized Susquehannock pottery shard (? - 1730's), 1/2 of a Susquehannock stone pendant/gorget (same period, presumably), 2 musket balls, various clad (less than a dollar's worth, total), and four or five amusement tokens.

I'd been away from the hobby for about two months, recuperating from a hernia operation. During that time, however, and shortly after I made my finds, I had made a call to the Museum and Historical Commission of PA's Archaeology Department to tell them of my finds. It had come to my attention that the portion of the park I was hunting in had been bought by the railroad for the purpose of connecting an east-west bound track with a north-south bound one. So, I had been hunting on land that they had cleared.

The archaeologist was very polite in letting me know that they already knew about the potential significance of the site--namely, that there may be the remains of a Susquehannock village nearby. Of course, I was worried that I might have messed up their dig somehow. Well, fortunately, I didn't.

I had covered all my holes, of course, and had carried out the trash that I'd found (except for some very large stuff). He started by telling me I was welcome to keep what I had found and that they would certainly take care of the artifacts if I didn't think I was up to it :) He gave me the name and number of the archaeologist in charge of the dig and left it up to me to contact him, telling me he'd be very interested to learn of what I'd found.

So, while recovering from my surgery, I went down to meet the guy at the dig site in the park. He wasn't there. So, I ended up talking with a younger colleague of his. It's a private firm that's doing the dig for Norfolk Southern, by the way.

He took pictures of my finds and documented where I'd found them. Incidentally, most of the stuff I'd found was outside of where they'll be conducting their dig. However, the pottery shard and stone pendant were close to the end which was deemed to be of higher interest to them.

Curious, I asked them what they had found so far. This was only a couple weeks into their work. He told me they'd found pieces of pottery, though none as big as mine yet, a nice triangular arrowhead, Union Civil War button(s) and coin(s) from the 1860s.

Now, I'll admit, I was a little disappointed to hear that after all that coil swinging, I'd apparently missed the best metal in the whole site. I was a little bummed that I'd missed out on those two target types. But I'm glad someone found them at least! It would have been ashame if they were bulldozed and lost forever.

Anyway, they'll be working that site for another two months, they think. The other day I went back to check up and heard that they'd found the remains of a wooden post. Not sure if they mean to say a Native American post or a later post. If they do discover evidence of a village, it will be only the second such discovery made of a Susquehannock village in the state. It would be an important discovery for the state's history--and certainly for the Harrisburg area. And, of course, I'll be pleased to have been a small part of that.

By the way, if you ever do discover some artifacts on a piece of land that is to be disturbed by construction or other means, don't hesitate to notify your state's historical agencies so that they can assess its potential. Even if it's private property, it's everyone's history.

Finally, glad to be back in the swing of things after this surgery and hope post a new find on here real soon.

HH,
George

p.s. The picture in the original post does not include all the finds...

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Glad you've recovered from the surgery and are back out there with the detector!

I read the original post - very cool, dunno how I missed it the first time. And it's neat to see that archaeologists can be very interesting (and courteous!) folks.

Looking forward to seeing what else you post!

HH
Nan

p.s.
By the way, if you ever do discover some artifacts on a piece of land that is to be disturbed by construction or other means, don't hesitate to notify your state's historical agencies so that they can assess its potential. Even if it's private property, it's everyone's history.

Absolutely! Even if sometimes, the "owner" isn't happy to hear about it (it would cause a delay in construction, for instance), it would really be a shame to have "good stuff" - artifacts OR history - covered up by a fast food joint or parking lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread