Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've worked a bit on that 1882 IH I posted a couple days ago. I'll not weigh in on whether or not one should clean their coins as I never figure to "value" them in dollars. Don't get me wrong though, I do feel there is a responsibility to every finder. These ARE pieces of history we work so diligently to bring back into the light of day. So, if it's a rare coin or just a particularly good example of one from a long ago era. I will do my level best to not "devalue" the coin by cleaning. I'd do the least possible and just seal it up. My avatar should indicate that aspect.

Now, with all of that said, view along the path of a coin that came back from the dirt.

Here is what it looked like when found:

IMGA1948.JPG

IMGA1949.JPG

Just barely recognizable as an indian head cent.

Then, working with some hot olive oil and a bit of peroxide and a toothpick, here's what it turned into:

IMGA1953.JPG

IMGA1954.JPG

It begins to reveal.

IMGA1955.JPG

IMGA1956.JPG

IMGA1958.JPG

IMGA1957.JPG

Not too terrible, eh?

IMGA1969.JPG

Now, I must ask, when you bring out your finds to show people what you do in your spare time, which coin would you want to show?

This one:

IMGA1948.JPG IMGA1950.JPG

Or this one?

IMGA1963.JPG IMGA1969.JPG

Knowing, of course, that the second one is absolutely worthless! According to the experts, because; it has been "CLEANED!!!!" :(

I know my answer.

I'll try a bit more but the easy stuff has been pretty much cleaned.

HH!

Upvote 2

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well the experts don't have it you do, and I have to see what I have got to. Very Nice clean up. And to the experts look at this one. HH

I love the Green but if I can't read it then I clean it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the experts don't have it you do, and I have to see what I have got Tto. Very Nice clean up. And to the experts look at this one. HH

I love the Green but if I can't read it then I clean it.

Well, for me, even that's a little too strict a rule. Of course, I know what you're saying. But, one wants to be careful. Just because I can't read it isn't quite enough of a reason to bring out the Brillo pads. ;) LOL

After all, if you can't read it, you wouldn't know it was an 1856 Flying Eagle cent! At least, not until you've "ruined" the piece. ;)

I'm very careful and I NEVER rub the dirt into the coin in the field, (sic - sandpapering). Especially, if I can't identify on sight. carefully wrap it up in a soft cloth and put it in a baggie until I get home. As long as I haven't cut the coin in two by digging! LOL

Thanks!
HH!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....great job on the clean up. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....great job on the clean up. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks and yeah, this one did clean up nicely. BUT, I want to be clear about one thing. I recognized that this one might would clean up pretty well. That's because of my many, many years of seeing different conditions that coins come out of the ground. There are few that will clean up like this one. If I didn't recognize that this one had a great deal of detail lying just below the surface of this type of crust, I wouldn't have even tried.

It's NOT a good idea to just think any coin can be cleaned up. Just that SOME of them, given the right conditions, might.

This is not specifically aimed at you, of course. Just hopefully out there for those who are new and getting the wrong idea.

Thanks for the comment!

HH!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SAM_2960.JPG SAM_2964.JPG SAM_2965.JPG here is how i "ruined", cleaned my coin. It was already kinda ugly so i was curious how i can make it nicer, i like the results. And of course i would never do this to a key date, or something decent

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like cleaning my finds. I have lots to learn about the proper cleaning of coinage and appreciate to open discussion about the topic. Usually only try to determine the date and have not cleaned the vast majority of my coins. And, I concur, if it's not a Key Date, then, it's not a big deal. The Enjoyment of showing your finds to others is one of my favorite things about this hobby.

Nice cleaning job WHADIFIND :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like cleaning my finds. I have lots to learn about the proper cleaning of coinage and appreciate to open discussion about the topic. Usually only try to determine the date and have not cleaned the vast majority of my coins. And, I concur, if it's not a Key Date, then, it's not a big deal. The Enjoyment of showing your finds to others is one of my favorite things about this hobby.

Nice cleaning job WHADIFIND :icon_thumright:

Isn't that a little bit of what this hobby is all about?

"Hey, hey, hey, look what I found!!" LOL

Semi-seriously, what would you rather show, a corroded disk and tell them all about how you proved that it was a colonial coin dating back to 1750. Or, show them a coin that they can read it for themselves. LOL

Thanks for the comments!

HH!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the cleanin! If u dont no wat u got u mite as well clean it. U never no wat it mite b.. HH

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job WHADIFIND! You're hired...no wait, I already ruined mine..nevermind. LOL! My first Indian Head(this year)was an 1887 and after I removed the green layer, there remained a whitish layer deeply imbedded into the pits of the coin. At this point I could clearly read the date and enough of the discerning details, but...is that ever enough for a novice? Unfortunately, no. I then removed the whitish layer and PRESTO...I could not read the coin even with a 10x magnifier :( I didn't give in though, so, I came to terms that the coin was never going to be beautiful and tried to 'back up' the process. I took some white acrylic paint and dabbed it on the coin, then rubbed it off gently in attempt to emulate the layer I should not have taken off. It worked, well enough. To a more novice individual than myself, (is it possible)they can read it and usually go...'cool', and that is enough for me. My 1902 with fine details found a week later made up for the aforementioned woes. GL & HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job WHADIFIND! You're hired...no wait, I already ruined mine..nevermind. LOL! My first Indian Head(this year)was an 1887 and after I removed the green layer, there remained a whitish layer deeply imbedded into the pits of the coin. At this point I could clearly read the date and enough of the discerning details, but...is that ever enough for a novice? Unfortunately, no. I then removed the whitish layer and PRESTO...I could not read the coin even with a 10x magnifier :( I didn't give in though, so, I came to terms that the coin was never going to be beautiful and tried to 'back up' the process. I took some white acrylic paint and dabbed it on the coin, then rubbed it off gently in attempt to emulate the layer I should not have taken off. It worked, well enough. To a more novice individual than myself, (is it possible)they can read it and usually go...'cool', and that is enough for me. My 1902 with fine details found a week later made up for the aforementioned woes. GL & HH!

Yep, that's what I was alluding to, it's not just the technique of cleaning. It's also being experienced in a wide range of corrosions and being able to recognize what coins might lend themselves to being cleaned up a bit. The hard fast rule of NEVER clean does have it's base in some solid reasoning. The troubles you had are evidence. ;)

I almost NEVER try to remove even the green patina. The coins display just fine, (for me), with the patina.

Keep looking, there will be some wonderfully kept coins coming in your future. :)

Thanks!

HH!

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND said:
I'm very careful and I NEVER rub the dirt into the coin in the field, (sic - sandpapering). Especially, if I can't identify on sight. carefully wrap it up in a soft cloth and put it in a baggie until I get home. As long as I haven't cut the coin in two by digging! LOL

Thanks!
HH!

I have found that keeping the copper coin or flat button dry and just rubbing the dirt off (using a toothpick on the hard stuff) works the best. When useing even water all detail seems to wash away with the dirt. Great clean up on that IH, ive tried olive oil and peroxide on the crusty coins but with no success. But like you said if it does not have the detail under the crust then cleaning it will not help.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final update. Ok, that's as clean as I dare try to go. But, like I said, there is a bit of art in figuring out what ones will clean up. Below are samples of some that I decided to just leave alone, (barring a bit of a wash, maybe a light brushing). ALSO, there are 4 examples of ones where I was still learning about NOT cleaning some coins. They are all IH's. :(

Thanks for peeking!

HH!

Attachments

• IMGA2002.JPG
    IMGA2002.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMGA2003.JPG
    IMGA2003.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMGA2004.JPG
    IMGA2004.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMGA2005.JPG
    IMGA2005.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 96

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice work on that cookie :icon_thumright:
The only circumstance in which 'properly' cleaning a coin might result in it Losing Value is if it is to be sold.
My goal is to give as much eye appeal to my coins while retaining their old and dug appearance.
not always an easy task.
100% agreed that each coin has its own cleanup potential, evaluation is key.
Liked the white paint 'undo' technique, wish this was as easy to accomplish with coins as it is in photoshop :laughing7:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work on that cookie :icon_thumright:
The only circumstance in which 'properly' cleaning a coin might result in it Losing Value is if it is to be sold.
My goal is to give as much eye appeal to my coins while retaining their old and dug appearance.
not always an easy task.
100% agreed that each coin has its own cleanup potential, evaluation is key.
Liked the white paint 'undo' technique, wish this was as easy to accomplish with coins as it is in photoshop :laughing7:

Yeah, the paint was a neat trick. Better than my idea of trying to just fill in the pits with a spot welder. LOL

Thanks!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread