UPDATE ON THE FRENCH OUTPOST AT THE HOLIDAY INN.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
As you all know the information gotten by the EXPERT on the OKM device was very shot handed and nothing has been heard since.
I do recall the EXPERT saying that there appeared to have been a paved area in this general area which was located near the Sea Grapes.
There was also a lot of construction trash buried in this area as well.
I asked the EXPERT- HOW DEEP WAS THIS PAVED SECTION? He never answered.
I then started doing some research and found that there was NEVER any paved area. But yes it could have been material like Rip Rap to keep the sand dunes in place but this supposed RIP RAP had no re bar in it so it was not Concrete from somewhere else and dumped there.
I was determined to know more because I feel that there is SOMETHING there and still feel that way.
Most of you know that the State really frowns on destroying Sea Grapes on placing anything on or even near them is a NO NO.
Lets go back near the beginning of this search.
When the EXPERT mentioned a PAVED road the first thing that came to my mind was a WALL of an outpost.
Anyway a few days ago I went back to the Holiday Inn with a few friends of mine who are in the Construction business. They brought along a 3/4 drill and a few long steel extension attachments. Each attachment was 4 feet long and able to connect to one another.
I went to the area where the EXPERT said was Paving and started drilling test holes. We went down 10 feet and hit rock not just any kind of rock but COQUINA ROCK. This piece appeared to be a small piece as we test drilled around this piece it was about 18 inches square.
I then moved to the Northen section and drilled 2 feet inside the Sea Grapes.
We did not hit a thing so we moved 3 feet south and sure enough we hit Coquine Rock at 10 feet down.
We then drilled 1 foot to the West and 1 foot to the East. The test showed that the blocks were estimated to be about 2.5 feet across. We drilled test holes for a total of about 200 feet south until we did not hit Coquina rock.
We also took GPS reading at all the locations we drilled at.
I concluded that YES this was a COQUINA WALL and that this wall was about 10 feet deep and was close to 200 feet long running North to South
This was done without any HI Dollar equipment and no EXPERTS anywhere. The best part was I did not distrube or distroy anything AND it did not cost me a thing except for lunch.
MY CONCLUSSION:
I do believe that an OUTPOST or FORTRESS of some kind was built at this location. But who built it is the question.
I have gone one step further I have located what appears to have been a Coquina quarry less than 2 miles away on Merritt Island which is due west of the Holiday Inn.
With Research and determination I will come to the right conclusion good or bad.
More later.
Peg leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
SWR you are correct.
This is what the Fortress in St. Augustine is constructed from.
PEG LEG

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
SWR,
Did not know this.
It would be much easier to move it from these location than by flat boat I would think.
Must check and see it there is Coquina near the Banana River-East side of course.
Thanks
Peg leg

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The reefs just offshore are coquina. They start and stop all along that whole area. Plus there are reefs under the shore, that were out farther 100s or 1000s of years ago. You are probably just hitting coquina reefs. They are on the West coast too.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I guess that I was not very clear so I will try to clear up a few points.
The 10 foot depth was to the top of the coquina section.
After drilling to the top of this rock I drilled every 6 inches (W&E till the bite did not hit rock). The coquina appeared to be in blocks 3 feet wide and with a flap top.
To me this could mean only one thing.
It is a man made wall constructed from COQUINA ROCK which to ME means a BATTLEMENT.
The EXPERT said it APPEARED to be a CONCRETE ROADWAY. I have proven this is NOT correct.
I will say that there was some concrete RIP RAP but this was located to the West of the Sea Grapes closer toward the building.
I was not aware that there was coquina rock anywhere near this location but since it appears to be so then maybe the rock for this Outpost was mined right at this location.
I guess that my next test drilling will be to drill down 20 feet or so to try and locate what might be the actual quarry.
Some of you are no doubt wondering how I can drill and come up with particles well the answer is simple but not all that simple. I have designed a Special type drill bite that is 1 inch in dia and around this bite is a hollow shaft.
It is similar to the Screw bite that guides the bite over the screw to help keep the screw in place as you drill the screw down but is much larger.
I took a round HOLE BITE and removed part of the top and sides. I then added a steel tube to this device that is 6 inches long.
I then used 1/2 inch steel rod and attached the hole bite to a 3 foot section. I then made additional sections that can be attached to to these 3 foot rods. Each rod can be attached to another rod by slidding over another rod and putting cotter keys to hold them together.
For power I use a .75" portable drill.
It make very little noise and can drill 10 feet in less than 1 minute. It it takes about 2 minutes to recover the shaft which has to be done by hand. If you reverse the drill you will lose everything you have in the tube.
I am planning to do more test drilling as time goes by.
I will set up a grid and drill every 3 feet or less.
This does not change the look of the area one single bit. It looks like a little ant hill which you can step on and you can not see it at all.
OH, The shafts are measured so I know what the depth is at anytime.
Dell has provided information concerning certain items that may be located in this area.
I fully intend on TEST DRILLING each and everyone.
This operation will cost no more than $35.00 and that is paying for the meals.
What do you think?
Thanks
Peg Leg

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
pegleg, have you looked into finding any historical pictures of the area? coastline drawings or aerial shots ? it could be you might see something poking out. good luck.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
wallinmacs,
The only old photos were taken during WWII and they show nothing different.
Just a lot of sand dunes.
Thanks for the ida anyway.
Peg leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread