Update recent finds

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave my dad's place yet another sweep, and finally found some fine jewelry from his yard, this lovely, antique Italian bracelet:

braceletnormanshousew.jpg

The unusual "Made Italy Sterling" plate is the same as on this item being offered on ebay, so they are probably related in time, town or maker:
ScreenShot.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130603715616

In the parking strip of my dad's next door neighbor found this:
razor2w-1.jpg

Turns out its a 1937 Gillette Sheraton gold-plated one piece safety razor, though mine is missing the plates that open and close over the razor blade.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece open comb/1937 Sheraton.JPG

About 3 weeks ago, I found this curious item (It's about the size of a nickel) in a kiddy lot that is in a park that is located on what was once one of the Seven Keys that were home to the Sam Jones Band of Seminoles during the Seminole War period. These were islands in the Everglades. The glades were drained and land developers sold it to citrus growers in the early part of the 20th century. But they left some of the old hammocks intact with some ancient live oaks. I found old .38 rimfire long and short cartridges, old shotgun bases of course, and a pre-1918 silverplate Rogers spoon (marked nickel silver, these old Rogers indicated the base metal in the stamp, is what i read online. Either that, or maybe it was just nickel silver).

leadbauble33-1.jpg

leadbauble332.jpg

headstampsrobbinspark.jpg

The "H" headstamp on the 38 rimfire long casing, is Winchester Repeating Arms. The H commemorates B. TylerHenry who invented the first large caliber rimfire cartridge. These were manufactured probably from the 1870's, until ww2.

38rimfireshortrobbinspark2-1.jpg
I've read that rimfires with no headstamps are supposed to be very early manufacture; they first appeared right at the end of the Civil War.

spoon.jpg

Back at my neighborhood park, 2 more silver studs, 6mm and 7mm CZs
studs.jpg

and this interesting Islamic pin (not made in China, marked "D" on back):
pricepark2-16-1-1.jpg

Just a mention for the record, a couple more 22 casings from my dad's yard, one 22 long rifle with the old Western diamond headstamp, and a 22 short with the "U" headstamp.

Finally, today, a small silver charm from my neighborhood park:
sneakercharmw.jpg

I'm wondering if those rimfire casings were fired by 19th century Seminoles or 20th century settlers. Rimfire rifles and ammunition were very popular with Indians generally (mostly what they found when they metal detected the Little Big Horn were empty rimfire casings) as they were cheap and universally available, and preceded the more powerful and expensive center-fire cartridges (1873), and were manufactured until WW2.

Until the Glades were drained in about 1910 and land developers sold lots for farming, the Seven Keys were largely ignored by whites who had no reason to pole canoes out there. I also found some 38 special center-fire casings and those were likely from whites. But the rimfire 38's without head stamps were most likely made in the 1860's or 70's. I don't know if white folks in the 20th century would still be shooting those, although it's certainly possible.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread