UPDATE : Shakeup at Guns & Ammo after gun control column backfires

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top editor of Guns & Ammo became the second employee of the venerable firearms magazine to lose his job after a column advocating gun control backfired, prompting rifle-toting readers to unload on the publication.

In a statement posted Wednesday on the InterMedia Outdoors-owned magazineā€™s homepage, Jim Bequette apologized to ā€œeach and every readerā€ of the magazine for Dick Metcalfā€™s column that appeared in its December issue, which generated ā€œunprecedentedā€ controversy and left readers ā€œhopping madā€ in regards to the magazineā€™s commitment to the Second Amendment.

ā€œLet me be clear: Our commitment to the Second Amendment is unwavering,ā€ Bequette wrote. ā€œIt has been so since the beginning. Historically, our tradition in supporting the Second Amendment has been unflinching. No strings attached.ā€

"I understand what you believe in when it comes to gun rights, and I believe the same thing."

- Jim Bequette, former editor of Guns & Ammo magazine

But by publishing Metcalfā€™s column, Bequette said he was ā€œuntrueā€ to the magazineā€™s tradition. He reiterated that Metcalfā€™s views did not represent his or that of the magazine before later acknowledging he would step down as editor earlier than originally planned.

ā€œIt is very clear to me that they donā€™t reflect the views of our readership either,ā€ Bequetteā€™s response continued. ā€œ ā€¦ I once again offer my personal apology. I understand what our valued readers want. I understand what you believe in when it comes to gun rights, and I believe the same thing.ā€

Metcalf, meanwhile, a longtime writer on firearms and U.S. gun culture, saw his association with the magazine terminated. Attempts to reach him Friday at his home in Barry, Ill., were unsuccessful.

In his column entitled ā€œLetā€™s Talk Limits: Do certain firearm regulations really constitute infringement?,ā€ Metcalf wrote that ā€œway too manyā€ gun owners believe that any regulation of the right to bear arms is an infringement prohibited by the Second Amendment.

ā€œThe fact is, all constitutional rights are regulated, always have been, and need to be,ā€ Metcalf wrote. ā€œFreedom of speech is regulated. You cannot falsely and deliberating shout, ā€˜Fire!ā€™ in a crowded theater. Freedom of religion is regulated. A church cannot practice human sacrifice. Freedom of assembly is regulated.ā€

Metcalf continued: ā€œThe question is, when does regulation become infringement?ā€

The firestorm that following was intense and swift, with some readers indicating they would immediately end their subscription to the magazine.

ā€œSo a writer takes a moderate, rational stance and you fire him? Predictably gutless response from a magazine that sells fear,ā€ one message posted on the magazineā€™s Twitter page read.

Other posts on the Twitter feed claimed the ā€œdamage is doneā€ despite Bequetteā€™s apology and accused the magazine of betraying its core readers. At least one Twitter user also accused the magazine of backtracking when money ā€œis on the line.ā€

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread