UPDATE ~ We Got Babies!!!

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I have another pic or two to post later. They have more feathers now and growing fast. I still only see 3 babies, an pretty sure there is another robins egg left to hatch. No sign of the sparrow egg unless it's under the babies. I looked all over the ground and didnt find it anywhere so there is hope it's still in the nest. Unless the mother Robing carried it off some where??

Will post a few pics in a bit, I gotta run for now.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
TeddyB1967 said:
Thanks Booty, except I'm a proud "Aunt" :wink:

Here is new pics of the other nest. I hope this egg will hatch, but im having some doubt. I haven't seen the mommy in this one lately. Im really hoping it's not because I touched the egg by mistake when i was trimming the bush :'(

I think this one is a Sparrow egg ???
IMG_1196_525x411.jpg

IMG_1198_525x466.jpg

Maybe a starling egg.

Thom

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I'm pretty sure it's a Sparrow egg. Here is a link I found online of the variations in marking's of the eggs.
http://www.sialis.org/hospeggs.htm

I took a few more pics earlier today ;D

You can see they are growing fast and even have lots of feathers showing now. Still only see 3 of the babies out of the four eggs.
Img_1735_400x402.jpg

Here you can see part of the other blue egg, it should be hatching any time now
Img_1722_400x402.jpg

L :o :o K!!!! Can you see it? I think I see the spotted Sparrow egg ??? I'm not positive but it sure looks like the spotted egg but will check again tomorrow to see if I can get a better pic.
Img_1792_400x402.jpg

Img_1792_yellowarrow.jpg

It really upsets the mommy when I go near the nest to take the pics. She does a few fly-by's and chirps at me a lot ;D :D She gets really frustrated with me but getting used to it somewhat. She isnt squawking at me as much :wink:

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Im glad you are enjoying the pics Bridge, I can't wait to get out to the nest everyday to check on them.

Thanks M.Granny, I do feel like a expecting mommy. I am anxious to see if the other two eggs ever hatch. I hope so, but it's been a few day's and no signs of that happening. They are staying warm and being cared for but I'm having some doubts that they will hatch.

Thought I would post a few more pics from today. I have mentioned the Mommy doing her fly-by's while I'm taking pics of her babies so I thought I would show you her in action ;D :wink:

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

She sat on the porch banister for a minute to yell at me before flying up on the edge of the roof to watch from above. She keeps a good eye on her babies.
Image3.jpg

Image5.jpg

Here's another pic of the babies all cuddled together. Still only count 3 beaks and the other 2 eggs are underneath them.
IMG_1931_590x573.jpg

I need to get a step ladder to stand on for better pics lol Im only 5'2" and the nest is a few inches above my head so I have to stand on my toes and stretch my arms out as far as I can above the nest with the camera to get the pics. Ohhhhhh the downfalls of being short ;D

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
awesome yeah momma bird has her eye on you :wink:

good thing she isn't a hawk huh lol

I hope too the other eggs hatch :thumbsup:

be careful don't want you to get hurt

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Thanks Bridge, I think the momma is used to me pestering her now. She isnt as afraid to stay closer to the nest when Im there. She will actually set a few branches away but never takes her eyes off me lol

Here are 2 pics from yesterday I didnt have time to post. I will get new ones later today :wink:

The babies thought maybe I was momma coming with food :duckie:
Img_1989_400x267.jpg

When they realized I wasn't momma, they snuggled back in and went back to sleep :sleepy2:
Img_1990_400x267.jpg

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
These were taken yesterday. The nest is definately overcrowed ;D They are getting so big and won't be long until they learn to fly. Two of them were walking around the nest. The one got on the edge of the nest and I thought he was gonna fall out :o The blue egg is still there so I doubt it's gonna hatch. I think the sparrow egg is still there somewhere also. I keep looking for it on the ground but haven't found it.

Img_2186_400x267.jpg

Img_2170_400x267.jpg

Img_2157_400x267.jpg

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I'm glad your enjoying the pics. I can't wait to get out there everyday and check on them. They are really growing fast and now that they are moving around a bit more, they are funny as heck.

These pics were taken yesterday and probably the best (funniest) I have ever seen. I couldn't help but laugh at this one baby.

He thought momma was coming with food and stretched his neck as far as it would go
Img_2176_400x267.jpg

When he figured out it wasn't her, he dropped over and went back to sleep LoL
Img_2177_400x267.jpg

After a few minutes, he thought he would give it another go ... with his eyes still closed :D
Img_2178_400x267.jpg

The he finally gave up and settled back in for a nap
Img_2193_400x267.jpg

These next few were taken today, getting pretty crowded in there
Img_2239_400x267.jpg
Img_2220_400x267.jpg
Img_2242_400x267.jpg

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw gee they are growing up so fast, it wont be but maybe a couple of weeks or so before they fly the coop! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Im gonna miss them Granny when they go :'(

It should only be about 2 weeks or so from the time they hatch until they leave the nest and another 2 weeks to learn to fly like a pro. The first one hatched on May 23rd so it wont be more than a few more days until that one leaves the nest. Then in the next day or so after the other two will go.

I wish I had a way to set up a video camera and film them the few days. That would be cool.

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer
Those are some really nice pictures, thank you. I will be watching this one for sure. It is way to cool. I showed my hubby and he says I am a lush for animals. YEP! Can't help it. Wish those little ones the best.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
not gonna be long

seen a baby mocking bird yesterday trying to fly in my yard bouncing from bush to bush

great shots as always :thumbsup:

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
That is a pretty nice series of pics. Robins are fun to have around. Hope you have a good birdbath handy. They love to splash around and they seem to drink alot. It is fun to watch them run around the lawn picking up worms. karenray08

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions