Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Bill....

Will clean thread shortly... so some may get some chuckles... heh

Those outfits...

Think I still have that shirt... JK :P

I had the same shirt too and my hair was just as blonde. I miss my golden blonde 70’s hair. Hahaha[emoji23]

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welllll... heres the deal.

Believe 1/10th of the internet... heh no exaggeration.

All metal sinks.

Never heard of a floating metal... near bottom or not.

Some thin foils may float.
Then again most metal boats float.
Never thought of the origin of that one "what ever floats your boat":laughing7:

BTW Bill nice recovery on the piece of gold.:occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Then shorter... and a couple greys here and there (good shot of the back of my head) :P

(picture was taken by my girl)

View attachment 1883303

Oh you were one of those guys eh?

Taking a magnifying glass and burning little holes in objects....:laughing7:

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj. Thanks for stopping here and for the privilege of your time and advice,where I am in NY I’m blessed to find only a few keepers off and on ,but the quest to find a honker makes me continue ,all the best

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC. To you and all who were here ,,, In the end this was a good post,,Everyone got in and shared their opinions and advice

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd that nobody linked to the 'advice' from 'Scottsdale Bullion & Coin' that the OP was using. It's here:

https://www.sbcgold.com/blog/test-gold-5-simple-ways-spot-fake-gold/

Putting aside the physics of flotation and descent rate of solids in liquids (which aren't mentioned) the paragraph titled "Float and Rust Test" is quite simply wrong in terms of the way it's expressed and they should be ashamed of themselves.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat. Greetings and thank you for stopping here and for the privilege of your time,,in the beginning I thought to share this find with the forum,as this is what we should do,as well as offer advice and listen to all that also take their time to stop,With some doubt coming thru thinking it was not 14k,even though it was stamped in two places,I was asked to do some checking,,,I thought about going to a jewelry shop but there is just to to many people in the stores now and virus is surging over here,,I found a site saying five ways to check for real gold,,I don’t have a PHD in gold elements so I just wrote down word for word and replied,In this case I only did what I was asked to do,,Take care and good luck on your next hunt,,,

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat. Greetings and thank you for stopping here and for the privilege of your time,,in the beginning I thought to share this find with the forum,as this is what we should do,as well as offer advice and listen to all that also take their time to stop,With some doubt coming thru thinking it was not 14k,even though it was stamped in two places,I was asked to do some checking,,,I thought about going to a jewelry shop but there is just to to many people in the stores now and virus is surging over here,,I found a site saying five ways to check for real gold,,I don’t have a PHD in gold elements so I just wrote down word for word and replied,In this case I only did what I was asked to do,,Take care and good luck on your next hunt,,,

Hi Bill. This isn't at your door, but it's a salutory lesson in not taking as gospel everything touted on the internet... or at least double-checking things with a second or third source. As I said, it's them that should be ashamed for providing this misinformation... not you for being misled into believing it!

There's some additional nonsense quoted there too, such as "fake gold will be attracted to a magnet". What rubbish!

Last edited:
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat and all who spent time here ,,THANKS..
Lessons learned for me ..In the future I will ask the forum members for their help and their recommendations first,,

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... What say you Bill ? ... did you ever find out for sure what it is you have ?

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdking Hi thanks again for your time To be truthful I have zero knowledge on gold elements.I had read about using magnets and I tried four different ones where there was no sticking.I now ordered a jewelry scale and called a jewelry shop and they told me to send a picture with the weight..For me I never never would realize that searching for a lost ring that day would take me down this road.On the other hand I see in the news about fires in California I hope you are far away and safe..hoping your next hunt is rewarding.take care...Bill

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC Thanks again for asking..So far my wife ordered a jewelry scale for me and hopefully it should arrive shortly..I also called a jewelry store they said to take a picture with the weight and they will give me a ballpark estimate.Its so so amazing for me as I never never thought by searching for a friends lost ring and finding this that I would be here..this is what makes this hobby so exciting..take care and hope your next hunt is rewarding

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
It looks like the ring that the chain goes through was soldered on. In the back you can see the solder,
in the front it looks like it was soldered on then carved to look like the rest of the pendent edge. The star must also be soldered to the back piece.
To do this it would have to be all gold or silver, plated with gold.
Seeing this and the stamp I would say its the real deal, I have found 14k in fresh water in much worse condition than yours.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim In MA,,thanks for the feedback and the privilege of your time,,Going forward I have to figure out how to have a jeweler check this as I have to be extremely cautious these days who I interact with,,Take care and hope your next hunt is also rewarding

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WannaDig3687...thanks for stopping and for the privilege of your time,,For me I just enjoy getting out and if I can only come home with more than I left with is rewarding,I hope your next hunt brings you joy..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread