Updated: Form and Material ID requested-New Pics Added

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Found this yesterday in a shelter, about three feet deep. The work on this piece is amazing to me. How the Natives could make flint "turn corners" baffles the heck out of me.

I've never seen this form nor material before, still learning. Help is greatly appreciated.

As a result of the replies to this post, I was able to properly field ID three more scrapers yesterday that might have otherwise been tossed aside. I am very appreciative.

Attachments

• DSCF1499.JPG
    DSCF1499.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF1500.JPG
    DSCF1500.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCF1502.JPG
    DSCF1502.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCF1523.JPG
    DSCF1523.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCF1533.JPG
    DSCF1533.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF1534.JPG
    DSCF1534.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Re: Form and Material ID requested

1320 - that's a classic thumbnail scraper form, and a nice one at that. I'll skip on dating it because I believe they're present through a wide range of times. Cool find. I have quite a few that are in cases along with points. They can be very well made and often are under appreciated as artifacts.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007

Not sure where you are from but, it appears to be St. Louis green.

Chuck

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Nice endscraper 1320. Alot of people call that form a duckbill scraper and to my knowledge they are associated with early archaic cultures. I think Chuck may be right on the material but imo it also looks like some Breathitt chert I've seen. Another high grade material that outcrops in Ky.

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other

The bending around corners is actually an normal occurance of sorts. When flint, glass or whatever you want to call it breaks, it breaks in a cone (just like a bb when shot into a window). If you look at your scraper as a giant flake then shrink it in you mind it would fit right in one of those rounded edge flakes that curve. When spalling (reducing) out a big piece of flint, slivers that resemble this scraper are very common. So basically a flint core was hit with a hammerstone or a big device which popped of you scraper. Then the scraper had the same hit done to it only on a smaller scale (pressure flaking with an antler likely) to cause the same result on a smaller scale. Fun fact for ya.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Thank you all, I'm very appreciative that you guys will take the time to help my learning curve.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Twitch said:
1320 - that's a classic thumbnail scraper form, and a nice one at that. I'll skip on dating it because I believe they're present through a wide range of times. Cool find. I have quite a few that are in cases along with points. They can be very well made and often are under appreciated as artifacts.

Thanks for the ID and because you were so kind to steer me in the right direction, I was able to properly ID three more of these that I found last evening!!!!

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
man don't toss anything that has been worked, I keep anything that looks like its been beat on much and store em in coffee cans with the shelter name on it. If someday I sell what I have, they get all the digital photos of points,location, and cans of brokes and other misc that came from the same area and peoples most likely. I catch my selve looking back through my brokes and misc to see if it has material the same as points I find.

Tree

brandywine

Jan 31, 2010
Mr. 1320

That is very similar to a scraper I have.

Attachments

• matt\'s scraper 3.jpg
    matt\'s scraper 3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 205
  • Matt\'s scraper 2.jpg
    Matt\'s scraper 2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Matt\'s scraper 2.jpg
    Matt\'s scraper 2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 198
  • matt\'s scraper 3.jpg
    matt\'s scraper 3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 205

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brandywine and 1320 be sure and grab everything. I have found on pieces that i normally would have tossed that little bit of extra work to them. Now I take everything until it goes through the toothbrush cleaning and i know it is only a piece of debitage. Then I will toss it. Generally thumbnail scrapers are Paleo to Early Archaic. That one scraper is a turtle back scraper in picture 5........................................... :icon_thumleft:GTP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread