UPDATES ON THAT MY RARE VARIETY 1797 LARGE CENT AU CONDITION

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
Plans got cancelled for sunday hunt because of storms. Well didnt rain in morn so I thought I wanted to get out, soon as i got into my truck started raining. Well drove to a wood site about 5 minutes down road. Got out of truck and walked about 3 min into woods started to rain as soon as i got a good deep reading. Well dug about foot down and i missed it was on bottem and on side of hole. Fell out into bottem of hole grabbed it and filled hole in. As im running back to truck I seen 97 great date. As I am running trru sticker bushes and all bloody and soaked made it to the truck. Put it in a baggie and left didnt stop raining till this am. Got home and ran water to get dirt off, and well this is what I found. 1797 Rare variety large cent in au condition I think . Told it might b a S 125 any ideas. HH Mark It is The rare S-125 r5 This is the best known condition in this variety out there.

Attachments

• 112_0701(1).JPG
    112_0701(1).JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 7,741
  • 112_0704(2).JPG
    112_0704(2).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 7,714
Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS!

I was very happy to see how well the coin did at auction, that is a good sign that even a ground found copper can get a great price amongst the blueblood Large Cent collectors!! :hello2:
1797MarkAuction.jpg
Anytime you can get a few grand for a ground found copper coin, should be reason to really celebrate.

Don

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, Mark! I was gonna give you $5K cash for it, but you did great! :laughing7:

I may put my 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime up in the Fall. I am just watching auction prices for them. We will see how it does in comparison. Both coins were dropped within a few years (and a few miles) of each other, and both were dug up within 24 hours of each other.

Pretty amazing stuff!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats for the coin ! :thumbsup:
H

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 3 Minutes THAT PRODUCED RARE VARIETY 1797 LARGE CENT AU CONDITION

gwdigger said:
chark21798 said:
Well i do have some news on my large cent. Cleaning and conservation and slabbed is DONE. And the verdict is in. Good and bad news. Good news came back as a AU-50 wow i am so excited barly stand it, next condition was a vf-40. And i know what that sold for. Its in the hands of people that know what to do now. I thinking July 1 Florida auction. Well k the bad news they did tag environmental damage just because was in ground, I personally think that's not right but is what is. So I'm back on the WOW track again. Thanks all for comments, and HH to all Mark

Who gives a rats butt what a coffin company says? I cant believe people care what insult they get on a piece of plastic. Look dude, you found a BAD A$$ 1797 cent and no plastic tomb or nasty insult will make it any better or worse. Plastimatics must DIE to save the coin hobby. What a freaking racket - people pay a fee for this?

A coin is beautiful until they decide to send it in to the plastimatics morgue and then its suddenly ugly? Does that make any sense whatsoever?

:Rant off:

I will grade and price coins myself for the rest of my life. Don't trust the US postal service anymore either.
I wish I had a rant off button. :-X

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Re: 3 Minutes THAT PRODUCED RARE VARIETY 1797 LARGE CENT AU CONDITION

underarock said:
gwdigger said:
chark21798 said:
Well i do have some news on my large cent. Cleaning and conservation and slabbed is DONE. And the verdict is in. Good and bad news. Good news came back as a AU-50 wow i am so excited barly stand it, next condition was a vf-40. And i know what that sold for. Its in the hands of people that know what to do now. I thinking July 1 Florida auction. Well k the bad news they did tag environmental damage just because was in ground, I personally think that's not right but is what is. So I'm back on the WOW track again. Thanks all for comments, and HH to all Mark

Who gives a rats butt what a coffin company says? I cant believe people care what insult they get on a piece of plastic. Look dude, you found a BAD A$$ 1797 cent and no plastic tomb or nasty insult will make it any better or worse. Plastimatics must DIE to save the coin hobby. What a freaking racket - people pay a fee for this?

A coin is beautiful until they decide to send it in to the plastimatics morgue and then its suddenly ugly? Does that make any sense whatsoever?

:Rant off:

I will grade and price coins myself for the rest of my life. Don't trust the US postal service anymore either.
I wish I had a rant off button. :-X

What a superb find and price you got for your coin!

It certainly sounds like that coin slabbing companies are hated around here, but they are almost certainly a necessity when selling your expensive coins. With all of the fake coins coming from China, these "coffins" provide the buyer with peace of mind that the coin he's buying is authentic, and at least reasonably close to the grade indicated (gotta send to CAC for full grade agreement, haha).

Coin Collectors are a very picky group - especially those that collect early coppers. Like most collectors, they like their items as close to original condition as possible. Early American coppers are plagued with porosity and other problems such as verdigris. Coins with smooth "hard" surfaces and chocolate brown color carry a premium over those with a greenish color, large marks, rim problems, etc.

In the metal detecting world, a nice green patina on copper is prized, but in the coin collecting community green on copper is almost always a negative sign. Verdigris is actually damaging to the coin as it eats into the metal. Coins with verdigris should be treated to reduce the chances of damage.

If you look through the Heritage auctions, see how many expensive coins are “raw.” You’re not going to find many, if any. Just compare prices for a “raw” coin that has been cleaned, whizzed, or tampered with in some way to a coin that shows crisp, clean, problem-free surfaces untouched by modern man. You will probably have to look through eBay for that one as many sellers try pawning off damaged coins as problem-free. And what could help buyers with this problem – the grading services!

And, feel free to trust the post office – just send your expensive items either insured Express mail, or fully insured Registered mail. I’ve never had any problems and I’ve mailed many items using them. Just keep your documentation. PCGS and NGC would be out of business if the Post Office failed to get coins to them.

Sorry about the long post. I know slabs aren’t liked here, but if you want top dollar, you have to “suck it up” and play the game. Now there have been times I haven’t been pleased with them, but overall they’ve done great good for the coin collecting hobby, and they’re here to stay.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing coin and congratulations on the auction results...Hopefully thats just one in a long string of "Once in a Lifetime" finds for you! :headbang:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Nice to see the finished slabbed coin. Not sure I agree with the grade, but I'm not "professional" either. Since grade is supposed to be done with 10x, wonder how someone determined "environmental" damage (i.e. pitting).

This is one heck of a large cent! Congratulations, and hope you find the rest of the hoard it came from soon.<G>

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i am gonna but my beat up worn out barely readable 1796 in dark deep pit it does not even come close too the gem you saved,,,,, very nice

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb condition. What a great find.

OP
OP
chark21798

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
JUST WANTED TO POST MY FIND OF LIFETIME. iTS BEEN AWHILE SINCE IVE BEEN OUT BECAUSE OF HEALTH ISSUES. BUT LOOKING FOWARD TO GETTING BACK OUT. HH TO ALL

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soil was kind to that LC.....congrats

E

euler1977

I dont have an american large cent. I bought one canada large cent because they are cheaper than the american large cents and still pretty old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread