UPGRADE ADVICE NEEDED!

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire
I'm thinking of giving my White's Prizm IV to my girlfriend and upgrading to a newer machine. I'm hoping the T'Net community can offer some advice on what to purchase as a "step up" from the Prizm IV. I'm open to other brands and models. My only complaint about my current machine is that it seems to give false signals on wet sand when detecting on a beach. Thanks in advance for your expert advice!

SC

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of other detectors will be unstable in the wet saltwater sand unless they have a saltwater mode or are a Minelab. To name a few for beach hunting, Tiger Shark, DFX, GTI 1500 & 2500, CZ20 and the best in my opinion for beaches, Excal or Sovereign GT. There are a few more, but this will get you started on the research of the manufactures sites.

Good Luck,
Sandman

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
From what I learned when looking for a detector to use on a beach, I would say look first at the Pulse Induction (PI) machines - like Garrett Infinium LS. They aren't bothered by the salt water, black sand, etc. Problem with them is they have little to no discrimination. You will either dig a lot of holes or try to interpret the signals and walk away from what you think is "trash." My problem is that I can't walk away from a good signal. So get ready to have a real good pull tab, bottle cap, crushed beer can collection.

i just got back from 3 months hunting on the beach off the coast of Georgia. No problems with the Infinium whatsoever.

Good luck and have fun.

Daryl

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I use an Minelab EX-2 with a WOT on the beach, an Excal 1000 in the water and an excal 800 under the water and they all work great

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
It depends on what you want to spend for your upgrade detector and whether or not you want to use it more at the beach or more on land. Once you get that straight then it will be eaasy to decide. A few great detectors were mentioned here but there are others also. If you like , give me a call and we can discuss it further.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com
860-623-1153

OP
OP
secondcup

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire
Thanks everyone for the advice!

It looks like I have some research to do. Since I spent about $500 for my current machine. I think I'd be ok with going up to $900. I'd like to keep it under 1k.

sc

GAR

Greenie
May 19, 2006
Hershey, PA
I have a Prizm V and like you I could not use it in wet sand, although it works well in dry sand. I upgraded to a DFX mainly to hunt in the wet sand, have not had the opportunity to try it yet. I live 4-5 hours from the beach, thats why I decided on the DFX, since I hunt mainly dry ground, and I must say I am not sorry, this is a great machine. George

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Id like to chime in on the DFX. I have had mine for two seasons or so now and absolutely love it. Its awesome in the parks or on the beaches. It is at the upper level of the price scale. But the advice I was given before my purchase was " If you don't get the best you can afford, you'll always wish you had". I wish you very good luck with whatever your purchase is. :) HH dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread