Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It won't work on saltwater. Dry sand generally fine. The 10 inch upgrade depends on you, it will go deeper but you loose depth on smaller objects so if your looking for a cache or something big it's worth it, otherwise I like the smaller 4 inch BH can help find tiny things better like earrings or help seperate targets better. Seperation are the most popular reason people get it. The 8 inch coil seems to work the best for it except in really trashy areas.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the reasons I bought the bounty hunter TIV is because one of the local detecors I saw on the beach was using his in the surf (successfully I might add). Guy dug up a silver ring from about 7 inches.

I didn't ask/couldn't tell what sized coil he was using. It was mostly out of sight.

Why wouldn't the 10 inch coil work on wet sand?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 10 inch coil will work anywhere the 8 inch will. It was made for increased sweep speed and not increased depth. So do not expect more depth from it compared to the 8 inch. If you do get increased depth it will be marginal.

As far as using it on the beach...it is a single frew VLF...so will perform as such. It is not optimal for wet beach sand, yet alone the surf. That never stopped anybody from doing it however.

Treasuretrooper

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Quicksilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth it to replace the factory 8 inch coil with the 10 inch bounty hunter coil? I am mostly going to be hunting on saltwater beaches.

Not worried about extra weight. I care more about covering a greater surface area and digging more signals.

I say no. I bought one to go with my quicksilver and the added weight took away from any benefits it may had have. The 10" weighs 1.25 lbs according to my scale. So it's pretty heavy compared to the stock. I didn't see any depth increase and everything seemed to ring up as coins. I've thought about selling mine.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it seems like I'm really not going to get any added benefit going with the 10" coil? Maybe just wait a while and step up to a better machine...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread