Upvote 0

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The larger coil for the ace series would add a bit of depth for little cost. I will eventually upgrade as well (in a year or so) and from the research I've done the AT series seems good for the next step up...

enjoy the hunt,
cc

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 150 can get deeper targets just go low and slow you will find some cool stuff

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't like the 150 but loved the 250 and now the AT Pro. I kind of worked my way up by saving my found coins to help pay for the more expensive machine. Good luck!

OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All very good advice. Didnt really think about upgrading the coil. I guess I figured all the brains were in the 'box'. Would a larger coil really get down deeper? Whats been your experience with coil upgrades...like an inch or so or 12+? Thanks again for the tips.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'box' more or less just processes the signal from the coil. A smaller coil covers less ground and weaves among trashy sites with only a slight depth penalty. A larger coil covers more ground and gains a few inches in the depth department, but is heavier and suffers discernment issues when both a good target and trash lie under the coil. A coil upgrade for the Ace would cost around $100. You have a several choices including OEM and aftermarket.

I think that the Ace series detectors in the stock configuration are pretty well suited to finding most coin size targets at the depth they are likely to be (there's considerable debate on whether coins really sink or not). If seeking larger targets, then, as nsdq suggested, a slow approach (discrimination off) will discover large chunks of metal (caches, etc.) at considerable depth. Also, once a certain depth is reached it really becomes more of an excavation than anything (two foot deep holes are actually quite labor-intensive and certainly not practical in public places)...

enjoy the hunt,
cc

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes indeed some of my targets with said 150 are deep and require a shovel like today i found a chunk of copper siding or flashing about the size of a zippo at about 1.5 ft depth all most missed it when swing over it fast then went back over it slow an got a good hit but intermittent unless i went very slow , so keep at it the 150 is a good machine it may not be the king of mds but it does a dang good job happy huntinn
The 'box' more or less just processes the signal from the coil. A smaller coil covers less ground and weaves among trashy sites with only a slight depth penalty. A larger coil covers more ground and gains a few inches in the depth department, but is heavier and suffers discernment issues when both a good target and trash lie under the coil. A coil upgrade for the Ace would cost around $100. You have a several choices including OEM and aftermarket.

I think that the Ace series detectors in the stock configuration are pretty well suited to finding most coin size targets at the depth they are likely to be (there's considerable debate on whether coins really sink or not). If seeking larger targets, then, as nsdq suggested, a slow approach (discrimination off) will discover large chunks of metal (caches, etc.) at considerable depth. Also, once a certain depth is reached it really becomes more of an excavation than anything (two foot deep holes are actually quite labor-intensive and certainly not practical in public places)...

enjoy the hunt,
cc

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
I have to agree with ya as I have the 150 as well.
It's not the most delicate machine by far but with good research, it has definitely gotten me quite a few old coins, as well as addicting me to the hobby!! I just dread having to "learn" another machine all over again now that I have become pretty efficient deciphering what it is the machine is telling me!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all true but this is fairly easy to learn and use
It's not the most delicate machine by far but with good research, it has definitely gotten me quite a few old coins, as well as addicting me to the hobby!! I just dread having to "learn" another machine all over again now that I have become pretty efficient deciphering what it is the machine is telling me!

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
The only machine I have is the 150 .lol I know it fairly well but it's the upgrade I'm looking at getting that I have to learn all over again. Would love the Excalibur but right now the Garrett AT is more in my price range lol

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
I even got it wet with saltwater a few months ago.
It made an noise like it was dying then turned off! I took it apart rinsed it well in distilled water then blowdry and air dry for a day and works great........... So far!!!! Lol

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i took my apart and sealed it water tight so i can hunt in the rain
I even got it wet with saltwater a few months ago.
It made an noise like it was dying then turned off! I took it apart rinsed it well in distilled water then blowdry and air dry for a day and works great........... So far!!!! Lol

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A fly fisherman, I presume?

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Im new to the forum. I just started detecting this spring. My family got me the ace 150. It is a decent machine but most of my targets are 7 inch or shallower. Im guessing it ''maxes'' out there. What would be a good upgrade while still not investing tons of cash?
If you want to stick with Garrett I would look at the AT Pro...Also 7 inches & shallower is where most of your finds are gonna be anyways!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread