Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't "upgrade" to a more expensive detector. I went the other direction. I own a Whites MXT Pro ($900) & a Whites Vx3 ($1200). I also have had an E-trac in the past as well as a couple others. Recently I added the AT Pro.

Two weeks ago I would've said "yes absolutely the more expensive detectors are worth it". Not so much now. I've really come to like my ATP and it has all but replaced my others as my "go to" machine.

I don't think the ATP can match the quality and ergo of my high end Whites. Is that worth more money? To me it's definitely a factor. Not the only factor but yes it adds to the value. Kinda like a Toyota Camry and Mercedes with similar performances. The Mercedes just does it in better style & comfort!

Performance wise the $600 does pretty damn well against the higher end ($1k-$1.5k) machines I've used. Maybe not quite a match for some of em but it holds it own and I'll never feel like I'm at a disadvantage using it.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
@op. What do you mean by "similar" detector? Can you give us an example of a similar detector?
Do you think people "upgrade", just go out and buy tecter after tecter after tecter after tecter, each time spending more, and hoping and thinking they are "upgrading"? Do you think that you yourself can upgrade, depending on Tnet members' opinions? How long have you tected? How many machines have you owned? Have you ever mastered a machine? Do you even care if people "felt" it was worth it? What do you mean by "felt"? Do you want to know if they "feel" it was "worth it", or felt? Worth what? What do you mean by the new tector, can it "do that much more"? Do that much more what? Please feel free to answer these questions. You cant ask non questions like this on a major tectin site with guys that have twenty and thirty and forty years experience. Especially if you don't have the common decency to use a question mark. There is no dumb question. So feel free to use the frikin question mark.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
??? Wow, Having a bad day?????????????? Kinda rude response
@op. What do you mean by "similar" detector? Can you give us an example of a similar detector?
Do you think people "upgrade", just go out and buy tecter after tecter after tecter after tecter, each time spending more, and hoping and thinking they are "upgrading"? Do you think that you yourself can upgrade, depending on Tnet members' opinions? How long have you tected? How many machines have you owned? Have you ever mastered a machine? Do you even care if people "felt" it was worth it? What do you mean by "felt"? Do you want to know if they "feel" it was "worth it", or felt? Worth what? What do you mean by the new tector, can it "do that much more"? Do that much more what? Please feel free to answer these questions. You cant ask non questions like this on a major tectin site with guys that have twenty and thirty and forty years experience. Especially if you don't have the common decency to use a question mark. There is no dumb question. So feel free to use the frikin question mark.

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was asking a question and fella answered it well. I can tell you this I have over 1500 hours detecting and don't claim to be an expert. If you didn't have anything decent to add or comment about why waste your time. I don't care if a person has a $99 detector or $3500 detector if they are happy with it. I was asking if anyone had upgraded from a $500 - $600 detector to a detector that was in the $1000+ range. I was curious if they felt price difference was worth the investment. Some higher priced detectors may be better suited for different kinds of detecting such as relics or jewelry and well worth the extra cost. I am sure they have advantages and that's what I wanted to know. As far as mastering a detector that's pretty darn subjective. The majority of the people on here love to help others or share their experiences.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was asking a question and fella answered it well. I can tell you this I have over 1500 hours detecting and don't claim to be an expert. If you didn't have anything decent to add or comment about why waste your time. I don't care if a person has a $99 detector or $3500 detector if they are happy with it. I was asking if anyone had upgraded from a $500 - $600 detector to a detector that was in the $1000+ range. I was curious if they felt price difference was worth the investment. Some higher priced detectors may be better suited for different kinds of detecting such as relics or jewelry and well worth the extra cost. I am sure they have advantages and that's what I wanted to know. As far as mastering a detector that's pretty darn subjective. The majority of the people on here love to help others or share their experiences.

To ad to ur original question I was using the atp for quite a while & did upgrade I got the whites v3i & it wasnt to do with i thought the pro was crap & thats y no I like the pro very much i upgraded cuz I like relic hunting probly most & this was the detector I chose for all its capabilities to change everything I want & then some & make my own programs for different spots adjust anything for everywhere. Now can the pro keep up I think so does it have the options I was looking for no so they both have there pros & both great detectors

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread