Upgrade from Tracker IV?

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no expert by any means, but i'd recommend the AT Pro. Great machine for inland use and can be used at the beach. Its waterproof to 10' and well, just love it. Plus, it holds its value if you lose intetest in the hobby. It goes in the $599 range but you can find good deals with the sponsored vendors here. Everyone has their own preference, this is just mine

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could all so consider a higher end used machine. You can get a used E-trac in the $800 - $900 range.

All most any machine you get for $500 will out perform the tracker IV.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as a mid priced detector look at the Tesero Tejon, its supposed to be a really deep machine with easy to use controls. I bought a Whites V3i and love it, but my old Tesero Silver Saber was from the late 80's and still works to this day. I found a lot of coinage with that old son of a gun! the Tejon is around $700 where as the V3i is $1400.

OP
OP
Decdad

Decdad

Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking of getting the ace 350 if I want to be good. Tempted to go to the at pro but that's a jump.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've gotten your feet wet a bit time to go for a swim I would think. I would recommend an X-Terra 705 and be ready to get one of the double d type coils but wait I see a dual coil pack deal. I see the X-Terra 2 coil dual pack metal detector for like 887 with a Lesche hand digger and a Garret pro-pointer.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned two Garretts, the last being a 250, and did not like either machine. The signal and tones tend to bounce all over the place when an object does not neatly fit into the segments. Battery life is okay, but not great. The coin tone...some people love it and some people hate it. I'll admit I was really disappointed with the 250 after reading so many great reviews here on TN. The 350 has a different coil than the 250 and I believe it's the same coil as the AT Pro.

As far as White's machines, I've owned several, and they are solid, deep machines. Except for the Coinmaster series, they tend to be heavier than most machines on the market. The higher end machines have great programability and tons of preprogramed options. New or used I find them to be great machines.

BUT I love my Tesoro. It's light-weight, one 9-V battery lasts and lasts and lasts. Yes, they are primarily beep and dig machines. (Their coin machines are they exception in that they do have a display.) This is not a disadvantage. My ears tell me tons from the signal. For example I often get a better, brighter signal from a zincoln that's at the same depth as a clad quarter. After digging multiple pieces of chain link fence at a park, I knew what they sounded like. By upping the discrimination and finding where a target drops off, I've been able to tell if a target is can slaw. Though complete soda cans won't discriminate out. I rarely have to use the pinpoint feature and can pinpoint very tightly.

Every brand has people who can't imagine better machines. For $500 you will get a lot of machine from a Tesoro. Best luck whatever decision you take.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan in continuing in the hobby, I'd get the best you can afford. The higher end machines give you more options and in many cases, more stability, better target depth, and I.D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread