Upgrade question?

Patrick14

Jul 4, 2012
Richmond Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been metal detecting for a short while. I started out with a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 then I upgraded to a Garrett Ace 250 and I love it. So now I am considering an upgrade to an even better machine and I will use the 250 as a second machine. I was considering spending about $400 on my new machine. I know a lot of people who tell me that I should get a Garrett AT Pro but it is just a little more than I want to spend. So with that said I am looking for some opinions of a good machine in the $400-$450 range. One thing that concerns me is spending too much money on a new machine and running out of places to hunt. I would hate to buy a AT Pro and have no where to use it. Thanks in advance for your help.

fmfdoc

Mar 14, 2014
Mc David, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just bought an ACE250, myself. My first detector! After doing a ton of research, and getting more than a few opinions from others, I have thought the same thing: IF I were to upgrade and spend all that money, would I be able to justify the cost, knowing I have already hunted-out the "easy-access" areas available to me. After poking around, I have come to the conclusion that re-detecting areas that you've already hit with a "lesser" machine, can result in finds that you missed on your first pass! I have read many stories of this happening. Ya never know: Finding that 16th century English coin, a fw inches deeper, JUST might pay for that new MD........ ;)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long have you had the ACE?

I think the next good upgrade for you would be the AT Pro, I went from the ACE 250 to the ATP.

I used my ACE 250 for 2 years, and learned stuff about it every time i took it out. You never stop learning your machine.

Now even with teh ATP, I'm learning new things still on my 3rd year with it

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to budget the $500 - $600 range. The Fisher F-5 might be an option. I think it's a value at $499.
Since you have experience with the Ace 250, the ATPro is the obvious choice. The AT will open many other potential sites as well. Creeks, streams, kayaking, etc.
Good luck with any detector you choose.
Peace

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's have the detector you need
never mind the rest there all a first texas instrument any ways if you read were each company got there start first texas instrument employed them all except white's the were making Geiger counters before metal detectors

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I would highly recommend the whites coinmaster gt. Cost 399. It was my first machine before my deus. Great machine after thousands of hours on it. Many great options for the money. Message me if u want more details about the machine.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...You Might want to talk to a few people that uses Whites..I know someone here in my town that has nothing but trouble with them...Of course its like asking what Car is better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread