Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found the right size O-ring to upgrade on my CTX! I know it isnt really recommended, but Ive only taken it in the water 3 times and can totally see where it could fail at some point.

These O-rings are the next size up and fit great! it has a nice snug (but not too snug) fit and was able to handle being in the bathtub for 15 mins with no issues.

What I like about it is the fact the little snaps will never "accidentally" open up with it being as snug as it is.

If anyone has trouble finding them, let me know. I ended up having to buy 50 of them, but it was still well worth it.

Oring.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend owners put a wrist rubber-band bracelet around the latches of the battery compartment, it keeps it locked tight and eliminates the danger of a latch catching on your find bag and unlocking while swinging the coil. It is an additional safety measure if your in the water, especially if your 3030 is approaching end of warranty....

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is correct, even though the latches are much tighter I still had one side open when I got it caught on my Minelab harness.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn. With a detector that's that expensive you would think they would put a twist lock latch on it that couldn't possibly pop open. We have equipment at work that use them and it leaves you with no doubt in your mind that you will be the only thing opening them back up.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stuff happens. Minelab designed and gave us a product that we where all looking for. No one else has a waterproof machine with the features the CTX has. Yes there can be some improvements made, however we are not engineers and have no idea what it takes to add even just a "twist lock" latch into the design. I'm good for now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a computer that detects..... It is a great detector, how many computers can you take in the water...The more I use it the more I like it!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here. It was tough going from my beloved Sovereign, but when my CTX got its first whiff of gold, oh boy.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you've found them and you appreciate the oring mod.

I will post an update for the USB mod, I have over 40 dives with a new USB mod version and I'm confident with it now.

Enjoy your CTX in the water guys!

FM

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I went on Ebay today and stumbled into an ad. Andy Sabisch's company, Treasure Hunting Outfitters is selling the "better" o-rings.

Minelab CTX 3030 O Ring Kit | eBay

Keep the faith my friends!

Plenty Deep!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, you guys gotta note that the head phone connector is NOT waterproof.

Can't get there at the moment, but posted under headphone connector thread....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, you guys gotta note that the head phone connector is NOT waterproof.

Can't get there at the moment, but posted under headphone connector thread....

If your going in the water you need a waterproof headphone, there is screw on connector for headphones under the headphones plug in module.....

Last edited:

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$20 for O-rings and some silicone? I bought three 3mmx20mm Buna-N 70 O-rings for a total of 0.63 cents and one 2.5mm x 80mm Buna-N 70 O-ring for $1.36. Even with the steep shipping cost to Hawaii the O-Ring Store was under $7.00. A tube of silicone grease that will last forever is less then $2 at the store. If you keep the O-ring clean and lightly greased - it's going to last for many years - you don't really need but one for the battery case and one for the USB port. These that I bought fit perfectly and I've never had a leak - even jet spraying the machine to rinse it off afterwards. I also have a small cotton sack that fits over the battery end of the detector ... no sand to deal around the battery seam anymore (which was a problem due to the silicone, even the thinnest amount grabbed the sand grains, but the sack solved it). It's black so it looks like it was made for the detector (I forget what it originally was for, but you should be able to find a sack with drawstring - it is great not to have sand stuck to the machine when I'm done detecting, except for the coil, but that's another problem entirely, the coil hides sand very well.)

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
DON'T forget that USB oring should not be use! i will post a new vid with an other way of watrerproofing the usb port

===> sorry for the one trying to make money with forums support :BangHead:

I hate those guys

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the 3030 is not a dive machine taking it past 10 feet will void the warranty..

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember the 3030 is not a dive machine taking it past 10 feet will void the warranty..

Hello TH :occasion14:

How can Minelab tells if the machine has been under 10ft?

Tip: I've been down to 60/70ft once with CTX and the LCD screen was still working... I think it is the only part of CTX that could be the witness of an over pressure. I don't think a single Minelab tech guy has been trained to make such expertise.

Dive once with an Excalibur at -450ft and had a serious leak (water came in by the PP button)... the detector has been exchanged by Minelab without any question.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are monitoring the forums, it isn't hard.....

Repairs are no longer going to Chicago, they go to Minelab Repair Center at Kellyco... Just giving you and anyone thinking of diving with them past 10 feet a heads up, it's your detector your call...

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They are monitoring the forums, it isn't hard.....

Repairs are no longer going to Chicago, they go to Minelab Repair Center at Kellyco... Just giving you and anyone thinking of diving with them past 10 feet a heads up, it's your detector your call...

In theory you are right TH..... now in real life, it is impossible for Minelab to prove that you have exceed the advertised depth. I've seen CTX leaking when hunting in the surf....

Keep in mind :

Scuba detection IS NOT so common, especially in North America where you have to sign a bible of discharge when renting a scuba tank/ scuba equipment
People always want / dream of scuba detecting but only a few are doing it. So concerning Minelab warranty and capability of refusing a CTX 3030 in a repair center for a out of limit use :laughing7: .... just forget it.

In my opinion and if I was in charge of Minelab sales & marketing

=> I will be very happy to have power users who are showing the CTX 3030 at depth below 40ft. It is good for image, it is good for business, especially when you have to face a poor reputation of multiple leaks...

At the end of the day, I'm sure we can count on fingers the number of persons using their CTX for scuba hunt

348216ctx3030scuba1.jpg

117702ctx3030scuba2.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not listening Frog, Minelab IS monitoring the forums, I am 1000% sure of that.

Just how hard do you think it is to install a tiny pressure sensor in every 3030, they are tiny, less than 1/4 the size of a postage stamp and available for just a few cents each.. It can be set to any depth to trigger a code..

Your not running Minelab, your a customer encouraging other owners to violate the warranty of a $2500 detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread