Upgraded snake protexting

Carpdogman

Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don' t want to stir the pot but feel a need to chime in. I live out where there are a lot of rattlers so many in fact that you pick up a rattler to kill a stick. In addition there are wild hogs and mountain lion also. Most of my time is spent metal detecting and prospecting in the desert hills and washes. I sometimes carry a 45lc revolver but have taken more to carrying a 45lc derringer as it is lighter and more convient. I load one barrel with a normal round and the other with snake shot. At 3 to 4 yards it is devastating on a rattler driving it back a half a foot or more. The normal round is for wild hogs if needed{which I have not}. As for lion if they wanted you it would be over before you ever knew what happened. I make my snake loads for the derringer from fired 45 shells like this; Punch out the primer and install new one. Use a 9mm case too measure shotgun powder and put in 45 case. Use a wad from heavy gasket paper over powder and fill rest of case with no9 birdshot. Cover end with thin gasket paper wad and a smear of shoe goo. This is only for the derringer and should not be used in a revolver which needs factory loaded birdshot cartridges. I have lived in the desert all my 70 years so i know what it is about. 3 or 4 yards and shoot the derringer!

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been caring my Ruger p89 for snakes but it is heavy for metal detecting so today I upgraded to a 357 Bond arms derringer with 38 spl snake shot. Hope I never need it. Thanks for looking.

I have the bond arms century 2000. You know you can interchange the barrels right? I also put the largest hand grip on it. Makes it fun to shoot now. I know this is a older thread but just wanted to see if you knew about them. That short grip slips out of my hand and the largest grip is just right and I do not have large hands!

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the bond arms century 2000. You know you can interchange the barrels right? I also put the largest hand grip on it. Makes it fun to shoot now. I know this is a older thread but just wanted to see if you knew about them. That short grip slips out of my hand and the largest grip is just right and I do not have large hands!

Yes I now about the barrels and would like to get the 410 for it. These guns have a lot of options. Thanks for the reply.

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" Had a friend bit in foot this year by copper head. He never seen him until he was bit."

Its never the snake you see that bites you..

did he make it alright?

scotty

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some pictures of one I walked right next to while detecting in late 2014. It is a 4 1/2 foot timber rattler.

IMG_0002_resized.jpg 20141025_132941_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took your advice gunsil. Made a target out of a peace of white aluminum trim coil. Drew a 1inch wide snake. ( I'm no artist ) Took one shot from 10 ft, I count 12 pellets in the snake and one spot at base of neck were multiple pellets punch a large hole. That would have been a dead snake. View attachment 1193821

I think id take a shot at this snake too, never have seen one with two tongues :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think id take a shot at this snake too, never have seen one with two tongues :icon_scratch: :laughing7:
I think those are antlers, lol.

But yeah, back when I lived down in Louisiana, we killed every poisonous snake we saw. Why? Because it kept the population down. Otherwise, they would overrun the place. A .22 does a mighty fine job of taking them out. Unless you can't shoot. Then you might wanna get yourself a shotgun.

Glad we don't have poisonous snakes up here in NH.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people have misunderstood me. If you read my earlier post you should understand why I'm carrying this. This is a 357 with snake shot. It is a close range weapon and will kill a snake that is close to you. As stated, I am not snake hunting and never bother them if I can avoid them. If you were this land owner and had them that close to your daughter and pets, I dought you would chase them off with a stick. Just saying. To each his own I guess.
Yes I hear ya, but you have tweeked your story a bit. From carrying while detecting, to protecting children and pets.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing you are in Wisconson

I agree. Lots fewer rattlers and no copperheads or water moccasins.

We had some old guys trap em out decades back, and they (thankfully) still haven't recovered. Lots less pasture and thicker woods now though. Lots of invasives like honeysuckle, and crouching or crawling through the crap.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I knew a guy while stationed in OK thought he'd hook up with friends and go hunting for sidewinders.
Well they found one, pissed it off and the snake came after them. He said he never imagined a snake could move so fast.
He never went snake hunting again.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am not detecting near schools, I carry a 9mm for protection from 2 legged snakes..... A lot of the older parks etc are in the sketchy areas of town.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread