Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a long drive. At least no bears crossed the road in front of me this time. This was in far northern PA, as far as you get without getting into NY. 300 acres + and all mine!

IMG_2844.JPG Stuff is hard to get here. I found a big handful of flakes of the Onondaga Chert. These two have finely worked edges so were used as tools.

IMG_2838.JPG I did find a tip off of a very large point.

Now this next item is a puzzler. It was glaciated in from either northern NY or Vermont, and is granite, the local stone is Devonian shale. It's about 3" long and has been finely worked on most sides, the end is snapped off, not sure if that's how it was or if it broke. If it broke, it broke a very, very long time ago.

IMG_2842.JPG IMG_2842.JPG IMG_2843.JPG IMG_2845.JPG That edge is very fine! Most of the other edges are also highly smoothed. Ideas?

I also found a contact period fired small caliber musket ball and a piece of perhaps ornamental lead. Plus a couple modern coins. Ugh.

Upvote 16

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, i love stone artifacts. Your puzzler looks like an adze to me. We have similar shaped ones here, often made from granite and with the same flat underside and frustum shaped profile.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very small adze?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very small adze?

I got smaller ones here. Basically two types here, called Flat/Wide or Long/High. Yours look like our long high with the tail end broken off. Most common are about 4" long ones. Biggers are not for use more for showing off or grave goods. The 4" size is usable for working without a high risk for breaking.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's not a celt, so maybe adze it is. It took a long time to get it to that shape. There is very little quartz in the area, so another piece of granite probably made it into a usable shape. What would they use it for again? This is apparently my first one.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's not a celt, so maybe adze it is. It took a long time to get it to that shape. There is very little quartz in the area, so another piece of granite probably made it into a usable shape. What would they use it for again? This is apparently my first one.

Woodworking like cutting trees and construction wood for wells is confirmed.
Here's a quick pic from two small ones with the upper granite flat wide just over 2" long (not broken).
41195347it.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man yโ€™all speak in a whole Nother language but itโ€™s cool

Ever venture on the North American Indian Artifacts site?
It's taking that Nother language to whole new level.:tongue3:

Good eye smokey, congrats!
I was out looking at a cleared parcel of land by the local waterway-nothing to be found.
We've had a real wet spell so it was pretty wet lands, so I followed a set of bear prints out of the cleared area.
It seemed to know what dirt would support its size.
The prints wider than my 13 Bloodstones, so it was nice to following it instead of the other way around.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it was a wedge for splitting wood. It might have broken when someone beat on the back of it too hard. Just a guess. Gary

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one side my hand is on is "rind" from the original granite. Never worked. My mom got me started looking for this stuff when I was probably 8 or 9. Going out today somewhere else to MD.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a neat piece. The best ones that I have found were all in the pacific Nwest. They were used to make cedar log canoes and totem poles.
Donโ€™t get European tools and First peoples or N.A. tools mixed up. They are the same but different.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shape of your puzzler looks to me like it could be part of a banner stone with that triangular cross section.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some really good east coasters folk on here they must not have seen yet.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your nice recoveries

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread