Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Redneck, I'm in the Ft Drum area and new to MDing. Know of any places up this far?

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i havent ventured that far yet but if i do ill let ya know i love exploring new areas

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get over all the old buildings up here. Seems like everyother property has a 150 year old barn, house. etc.. Found an out of the way old park yesterday that I can't wait to take my son to next spring and see what we can find.

rdawg14

Aug 13, 2012
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also from upstate NY and familiar with most of the treasure stories
1. Loomis treasure: forget it someone bought all the property and leveled all the houses and buildings...its 20 mins from my house and VERY posted
2 as for Pulaski there is a very interesting story about a greedy trapper in that area before the French and Indian war that capsised his canoe while trasporting his gold bars
3 There cherry valley Massacre left alot of buried loot in the area that I have personally looked for
4 A friend of mine and I found the remains of the battle of Ft Plain I belive and was in a farmers field...MDing the area yielded musket balls but there was 1-2 feet of wet mud and due to my health I grew too tired to continue
5 Follingby's Pond area had been a mystery I have tried to persue for a long time

There are alot I know of and would love to find some local to go hunting with but I had to sell my detectors due to finacial hardship when I got sick but would love to share the knowledge and consdering I am disabled and can't work I have tons of time for research

Feel Free to IM me
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

or call me at (315) 839-6078

Bruce

Hey Bruce, I live in Cherry Valley and am just getting started in this hobby, I was just wondering if you would care to share what you found in Cherry Valley. I am very interested to see and maybe in the future we can hunt together in the area. I may be able to get some great leads in the village. Thanks -Ryan

beepbeepin

Aug 24, 2012
Schenevus, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
I live 15 min from cherry valley. I think cherry valley is a very interesting historical town. If anyone knows any great places to hunt. I'll be glad to come along.

, Chris

Cher

Sep 30, 2012
Fultonville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live south of Fultonville and Cherry Valley is not a very long drive. I'm new to MDing too, and haven't had much luck finding anything except old nails and old pieces of tin. I would like to find someone to do some hunting with that knows how to do better. If anyone is interested in hunting together, let me know. Thanks!

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in Syracuse, NY...There is a group of about 6-8 of us that hunt this area...Old sites around here are mostly private property...If it is public, it has been pounded most of the time.
Would be interested in meeting other hunters from different parts of the State.

HH,

victor

Greenie
Apr 25, 2012
Remsen, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Redneck, I live in Remsen,n.y. just down the road from Booneville. Care to share any ideas with me. I'm just getting started metal detecting and have found about $30.00 in coins but nothing rare.

May 17, 2013
Port St Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft Stanwix was destroyed by a fire and a flood in 1781 and the Americans abandoned the fort. In 1794 a blockhouse was built on the old parade grounds where the old fort once stood but was no longer used by 1815. By 1830 city of Rome built over what little remained of the area. Archeological rersearch was done in 1970 on the site and in 1973 the fort was reconstructed. Firts even if you could detect the area it is doubtfu; you would find much and besides that it is off limits to detecting anyhow.

ewarren29

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site. I live in Chenango County and was wondering if any one had any more info on the medicine man chest in between Pitcher and North Pitcher. Thanks.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A traveling medicine man operated in Otselic Valley in the early 1800s,accumulated large fortune in gold and silver coins.
He is known to have secreted 2 chests of coins on the hillside near old Sulphur Springs Health Resort,located midway between Pitcher and North Pitcher.
His treasure was never recovered.
and that the treasure consists of $4.000 in gold and $15.000 in silver coins... magazine writers claim his name was Buck Crofton
From The United Treasure Atlas Vol. #7... by Thomas P. Terry
Gary

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello - Used to live in Dutchess Cty but relocated to here --- I was recently at a Civil War show and the Sons of Confederate Vets had a display about CW prisons I saw that there was prison in Elmira ------ Without going into greater depth so I don't want to infringe on their copywrite Here is what I remember Many of the prisoners that died in the camp are buried at Woodlawn Cemetery 1825 Davis Street, Elmira. They credit the dead being given marked graves by a Freed Slave John W Jones who was the Saxton of the Cemetery and was a successful business man in Elmira They also said the the only marking of the prison that remains today is a Plaque and a flagpole Never mentions the size of the camp nor any other location Might be something to research As a side note they mention that Jones in his efforts buried 2 of his former owners Grandsons at the Cemetery ------ If not for nothing else I just want to record this on the site so it does not get lost in time

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I lived in one of the Officers Quarters 616 Winsor Ave. in Elmira N.Y. . (when i was a kid).. for the prison camp Hellmira the Southern boys called it
On the corner of Water St. and Hoffman St. SE corner the is a stone that states the border of the camp but it`s way back under a big bush and might be forgotten.
I metal detected there in the late 60s and found some stuff ....across Foster`s pond you could still the Death Road on the bank of the Chemung River washed away in the 72 flood.
The Camp is all fenced in now but not marked , and you can`t dig holes in the flood Plane that side of the dike.
Gary

Last edited:

ewarren29

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright so trying to find more about the Crofton Bros. story . I was able to get the booklet regarding Pitcher Springs, but no mention of it in there. Any idea where I can get a copy of the Prospectors journal article from 1968 ? I can't find it online. I am on a side note curious as to what type of metal detector you all would recomend as a new person to this field. Thanks for the help.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ewarren29
What`s your budget ?
what`s your ground like is it highly mineralized ?
what do you want to hunt for ?
will you want to hunt water ?
think it over and ask away...if you have a brand in mind ,you might want to start a new thread in the Brands Forum here, or read about some of the models you are interested in there .
Gary

Last edited:

ewarren29

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would like to start in Pitcher looking for coins and miscellaneous type of treasures. I have seen a lot about Garrett. I just want to make sure that I get one that can penetrate the ground well. As for a budget honestly the less expensive the better as am new to this and have to convince a wife. Thanks for all your help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread