Urban Blight yields Another Big Silver - Barber Half

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out for a short time after breakfast today, maybe two hours in the cold... Hunting abandoned property here in the neighborhood... $2.29 in clad, pile of ringpulls, a few brass fittings and valves, not one, but two toasted wheats... And then the star of my day - a 1907 Barber Half in damn good condition if, I don't say so myself... Found at 4" next to a decaying garage...

I'm gonna try to get out for a while after I do some stuff around the house... It seems pretty crazy to still be out digging mid January... I wonder if more diggers will make there goals this year due to the extended season...

Anyway... Beautiful day in the dirt... Can't wait to get out again...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 27
OP
OP
PGHDigger

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That half is in fine condition.

4" off the dry side of a stone foundation, until the last couple of days it was covered by an overhang... Well the ol' roof finally fell into the garage last week, and well, now this soil will see some moisture... I want to hit this spot hard a little later today, take a garbage bag and clean the surface up a bit... Maybe rake it as well...

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice one, congrats!The dirt was kind to it.I know that one put a big ol smile on your face.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big silver like that is hard to find in my neck of the woods. Congrats!

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
That is just an awesome find .. Hubs got me a new detector for Christmas -cannot wait to try it out ~!~

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Barber Half. You seem to be in an area that has not been pounded over the decades.

OP
OP
PGHDigger

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Barber Half. You seem to be in an area that has not been pounded over the decades.

I'm really lucky in that aspect... The only reason these yards are available to me is because I maintain them... I went back out to the spot I was detecting earlier and ended up doing nothing but cleanup... Didn't touch my detector... But got the backyard clean enough to mow in the spring... Making for easy detecting...

Here's a few photos to show what my street looks like... Remember... When I first moved on this street you could not even see these houses for the trees and weeds... It took years to clean it up to this point...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Barber half! Congratulations.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Barber half! Your hard work keeping these places tidy is paying off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread