URGENT $2.50 gold coin mint mark D

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
URGENT – need some help – PLEASE.
Tomorrow I’m going to the Estate auction – they have a lot of silver dollars / halves / silver jewelry etc….
Also they have a 1911 - $2.50 gold piece mint mark D.
I check and this could be worth over 1000 bucks in OK condition. Regular 2.5 gold pieces are going for about 250-350 bucks. I check the mint mark and is D no question ask.
What else should I look to verify this is an original and not fake coin???
Why the 1911 - $2.50 coin have only 1 mint mark or nothing at all.

Please post some info / pm me / or email me
Here are some pictures - not to good.

Attachments

• 2.5D.jpg
    2.5D.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 978
  • 2.5D-1.jpg
    2.5D-1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,042
OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
THANKS,

I understand …… but the history of the estate sale: all the coins many silver dollars / halves / silver jewelry were discovered in the attic of an old house obviously the owners died – no family.
All the silver coins are old and good and so is the old jewelry. In the worst case scenario this is gold and is worth about 250 bucks without the mint mark.
If this is a real gold how much it should weight. I don’t think they will let me to test it !! and I don’t have anything to test with.
Any ideas?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In the worse case scenario you buy it without any meaningful guarantee of its authenticity, only to find out it's a base metal and worth about a buck. One, but not the only characteristic of the quarter eagle is its weight: 4.18 grams. It should be composed of 90% gold, 10% copper. Net weight of the gold is .12094 oz. Another characteristic (less reliable) is its diameter: 18mm.
Don.....

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Thank you my friend.
I'm pretty new to gold coins- ??? :dontknow:
Is there a way to check the this coin for gold authenticity without "scratching/rubbing" it??
They may not like that!!
Could you point / give me a link to some detailed info about this coin ?
This looks really good and I have "hard on" for it to buy it.
Just don't want to make a stupid mistake because of luck of knowledge.
Thanks again for all your help.
Also when I check the mint mark that D looks real it blend it with a surrounding it looks like it belong to this coin. So that said maybe the whole coin is a fake :dontknow:
:o

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Thanks again- :icon_thumright:
The only way I can do it is to use a scale and hope this will be ok.
Just to bad I don't have more time to reaserch and find a 100% way to id.
this coin.
Oh well it will depends how many people will bid on it and what the final value / price
will be.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To me, it would first depend on the authenticity of the coin. If the estate sale holders wanted to, they could have submitted the coin to a professional grader for authentication and condition; to level the playing field when the bids begin. The fact that they didn't.........here you can draw your own conclusion.

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Just got back from the auction
Again,
Thank you all for help – I was willing to take a chance and buy this coin after I did some research and find out that the $2.5 dollar coin is worth about 250-450 depends of the condition
$2.5 with the D was worth way over 1K I was willing to pay maybe 700-900 bucks for it depends how many people were bidding ECT….
Guess what this coin sold for:
5.700.00 dollars – believe it or not….

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Mackaydon said:
"Pig in a poke"; very risky, especially at that level.
Don.........
I did not buy this coin - don't have that kind of money.
I got a Japanise Arisaka and some Swarowski crystals.
;D

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vodka1000 said:
Again,
Thank you all for help – I was willing to take a chance and buy this coin after I did some research and find out that the $2.5 dollar coin is worth about 250-450 depends of the condition
$2.5 with the D was worth way over 1K I was willing to pay maybe 700-900 bucks for it depends how many people were bidding ECT….
I BELIEVE YOU!
A member on this forum sold a 1911D 2.5 graded an au64 a few years back for more than ten times that amount...... and yes, it was a dug coin.. remember keep your head down and your mouth shut javascript:void(0);

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1911d said:
Vodka1000 said:
Again,
I BELIEVE YOU!
A member on this forum sold a 1911D 2.5 graded an au64 a few years back for more than ten times that amount...... and yes, it was a dug coin.. remember keep your head down and your mouth shut javascript:void(0);

AU64?? Thought AU55 and AU58 then MS?

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
1911d said:
Vodka1000 said:
Again,
I BELIEVE YOU!

AU64?? Thought AU55 and AU58 then MS?
right on, guess i was thinking of gold (AU) rather than the grading, my bad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread