US Coins from England

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
On a post earlier this week I found a seated Dime & thought I would photograph the other US coins that i have dug here in England. There are quite a few, and this may be a surprise to many of you. England has been close with America for along time and much sea borne trade has been between us hence the coins. Also these finds have come about since 1977 when i first started detecting. Most of the coins have come from rivers or beaches sealed in mud since they were dropped hence they are in good condition. A few other have come from fields etc and are generally much more corroded. The first two large cents are really in excellent condition 1818 being the oldest. The silver were all from rivers except the 37 5c. Will post a few more a time goes on.

Attachments

• Large Cents.jpg
    Large Cents.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 176
  • US silver.jpg
    US silver.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 16

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice, I'm in the US and haven't found any of those types (yet) :laughing7:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is amazing. I tend to incorrectly think of the coins only going one way which is from England into the USA. Of course I'm mistaken. I've found two seated dimes and some large cents. Let me tell you the large cents I have found are all in bad condition! Nothing like yours! The half dime and capped bust dime? On my wish list. Those are hard to find over here!!! If only the coins could talk. As you know everyone here makes a big deal about the Massachusetts tree coins (rightly so!) but I wonder if any ended up overseas? I overheard a member of my metal detecting club say that he found his first gold coin in England and it was from here! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
S

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
I know of several Pine & Oak coins found in the uk. Last year a Lord Baltimore copper was found near Bristol. A hoard of Double Eagles was also located. There's hope!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a nice collection of 19th century US coins, better than many of us over here!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of several Pine & Oak coins found in the uk. Last year a Lord Baltimore copper was found near Bristol. A hoard of Double Eagles was also located. There's hope!

Absolutely incredible! I have heard about the Lord Baltimore coins being found there but never the tree coins. What a story that would be!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Those are US property. In order for England not to get invaded, please send them to me and I will speak to the US treasury on your behalf.

Cheers!(as you people across the pond say).

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!!!those are in nice shape

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting