US military in Germany man's ring find

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my neighbor lady (82 y) told me that US troops made camp during WWII in some forest area which is very close to our small village. I went to see if I could find evidence and found 5x .50BMG casings and 3x .45ACP life ammo. US military was definitly there. Now I found a man's ring only about 50 yards from where I found the cases. I would love to return the ring to it's original owner. I know chances are slim but maybe you had a grandpa talking about that small village in Germany where he lost his ring.....who knows? The surface of the ring really is very rough and it seems to be brass or so. For gold it is reading too high on the Nox800 and for silver the color doesn't seem to be right. DSCN2204.JPG No stamps or engraving visible. It reads at 22 which would be silver if the Nox800 is not mistaking.

Last edited:
Upvote 17

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that ring may pre date WW II

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the area I live in has many ancient trade routes going thru. Actually there is a closed guest house which used to be a toll station and the church next village dates back to pre 1100. So there has been some traffic in the area but the oldest item I have found is a french christian pendant which dates back to 1851. I have found several coins dating between 1872-1924

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that ring may pre date WW II

I think Steve may be right, it also sounds like the entire area would be a great place to detect, going back to 1100. A place many of us would like to tromp around with detector in hand. Keep at it Horst.

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Steve. I also think Pre WW 2. Nice find. Congrats

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thank's for your feedback....I'm at it! In Germany we just have rules for everything. As long nobody seriously complains I keep diggin' and cleaning up the places (nails, cans, trash metal). That's my best odds to keep people on my side. If the area has a certain "protection" status I can't dig and close to old churchhouses and other old "monuments" I'm not allowed either. Up to now the old pathes connecting one small village with an other produced more coins as the way to an old schoolhouse did. I'm trying to find out which fields have been worked in the past and which ways people travelled. Lots of history lots to discover. I'll let you know! If it ever takes you to Germany / Cologne area I'll be more than happy to schedule some time with a fellow hunter from abroad and see what we can find together.

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also believe that your ring is much older than the 1940's when the U.S. Army was there. It's a very nice find too!

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Nice find. Keep at it, your countryman Westfront finds Roman stuff all the time. I doubt you can find the owner to the ring, but it's a good thought and thanks for trying. Good luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread