US Navy Button 1852-1877

May 27, 2015
York Township, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved in the last week to an old house in a rural area in Ohio. The house was built in 1890 according to Zillow. So after unpacking I got my first opportunity to do some hunting at the new spread. The first hole I dug I found this button. I used an older post on treasure net to figure out what it was. The link to the site I used is The Treasure Depot Button Project I am reposting it in case anyone else has a use for it.

Although I do not think the button is in good enough condition to be worth a fortune I am very pleased to have found it and it is my oldest find to date. Also a coincidence that I found it on Veterans Day as well.

Attachments

• 20151111_204524.jpeg
    20151111_204524.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 3

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
None of my finds are " worth a fortune " to anyone but me! I would love to find that button!

OP
OP
O
May 27, 2015
York Township, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the back is trashed, nothing left but a hole. If you really want to see I I can post a pick but its hollowed out with some mud packed in it.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately the back is trashed, nothing left but a hole. If you really want to see I I can post a pick but its hollowed out with some mud packed in it.

Still an interesting dig but if the back appears rusted it is likely a civilian blazer button.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An exploratory hunt that gives up an old piece like that is a good sign. Happy hunting, you only need to walk out the door and start swinging.

OP
OP
O
May 27, 2015
York Township, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...I did a few feet and have 1 and 3/4 acres to go; unfortunately an Ohio winter is looming and it may have to wait for the spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread