Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tneters, havent posted in a while most fields are loaded with crops and the forests full of ticks.
out today with my cousin in the woods near Mainz hoping for some roman coins we stumbled upon a clearing loaded with bulletcasings probably from the war. last thing I expected to find was a 1943 silver quarter. But there it was lying right under the leaves at 1 inch. It might have been lost by a soldier I suspect.
some older German coins and buttons made a great day.
there was also a mysterious little brooch which looks like it has little set stones in it. not quite sure if it is old or modern. any ideas?
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
thanks for looking

Upvote 29

DanNet

May 31, 2017
London
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 3 weeks ago two German coins ( one is from 1944) and the other one is from 1928. Is there anyone who can tell me the value of thos coins?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 3 weeks ago two German coins ( one is from 1944) and the other one is from 1928. Is there anyone who can tell me the value of thos coins?
Welcome to Tnet.

No-one will be able to give a value with-out the denomination of the coins & there condition. Therefore a photo of both sides are needed if you want our help.

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interestingly enough, even the shell casings tell a story. You have 7.9X57 (WW2 or earlier German) and US 30.06 from live ammo and you also have 30.06 blank cases from post war (could be US or German, the BW used m1 Garands for a bit before the G3). So you have a battlefield, and also a training field. The one with the long nose is US from the 1960's I think.
If you go back there be sure to keep an eye for UXO! Don't want to get blown up!
Now, go find more Roman stuff! Off you go!

dman80

May 30, 2015
Low Country, SC
Detector(s) used
Deus XP, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad someone else was able to confirm what I was going to say if no one else had ID'd the brooch. Seen some similar to it posted from people in the UK and thought it looked an awful lot like a Roman piece. Congratulations. The silver is nice but that brooch may be the find of a lifetime.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the beautiful Roman brooch. I would say that the quarter was lost after the war based on the amount of wear on it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad someone else was able to confirm what I was going to say if no one else had ID'd the brooch. Seen some similar to it posted from people in the UK and thought it looked an awful lot like a Roman piece. Congratulations. The silver is nice but that brooch may be the find of a lifetime.

It 'may' be a find of a lifetime but I think it likely he will do better. It's broken at the base & has no pin. However, its the 95% enamel that's remaining that makes it a good find. We probably only have about 3 examples with the same amount of enamel, but more amazing is a fibula we found with a working pin. The spring coiled pin works as it would 2000 years ago! Those maybe hard to repeat, specially out of ploughed land. Forest maybe....

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone, for some reason I cant edit the original post to put a better picture of the brooch under the first 4 pics...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone, for some reason I cant edit the original post to put a better picture of the brooch under the first 4 pics...
I know. It's annoying. You now have 48 hrs to change your first post or it stays as it is. CRAZY. Because some idiot deleted all his his posts which broke all the threads. So instead of dealing with the idiots they gave us a mass punishment.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I know. It's annoying. You now have 48 hrs to change your first post or it stays as it is. CRAZY. Because some idiot deleted all his his posts which broke all the threads. So instead of dealing with the idiots they gave us a mass punishment.

The punishment will continue until morale improves;)

Riggleman

Mar 7, 2016
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coin is interesting, as for the fired casings they are somewhat modern. They are all blanks.The crimpes ends are 5.56, the larger apear to be 7.62, they too are blanks, they would have a flat red stopper in the open face. Im no expert but i dont belive ths U.S imported blanks into Europe during the war.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that amazing brooch and your other finds! Just remember to keep well covered up out there with all of those ticks because of Lyme disease.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions