Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Made use of the incredibly low tides this weekend and returned to my Revolutionary War honey hole. This site has been producing a mix of British Regiment of Foot, Patriot Buttons, and most recently a large war of 1812 pewter button found by Gheenoe78. While these conditions reek havoc on copper and bronze, it seems to perfectly preserve pewter. Given the conditions, I left the Deus XP at home and broke out old faithful- my Minelab Safari which seems impervious to the highly mineralized conditions of the low country's salt marshes. After arriving at the site I was greeted by an incredibly low tide and decided to wade out into the deep mud. Surprisingly, there was very little trash and almost immediately I began hearing the familiar tones of pewter. First out of the mud were 3 War of 1812 Infantry buttons- 2 with intact shanks.

20150322_224217.jpg 20150322_224312.jpg

Nearby I dug varying sizes of musket balls, 2 that had clearly been fired. Working my way back towards the river crossing, I dug a brass buckle, key, tombac flat button, and brass 2 piece button.

20150322_214107.jpg

20150322_224351.jpg 20150322_224420.jpg

Among these relics, I dug an out of place coin- bearing "Elizabeth XI Regina" along with a bust on the front (1955 South Africa Farthing). The last find came as I was making my way back to the shoreline where I had previously dug the P/N patriot buttons. I pulled the plug and noticed a strange marking on the front of what looked like a ruff pewter button. I didn't give it much thought until returning home to clean and seal the day's finds in wax. Staring back at me was an S and partial A centered on the button...U S A pewter! Definitely my best day of relic hunting yet- thanks for looking.

20150322_215830.jpg

20150322_213034.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Good work saving artifacts of history! :thumbsup:

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice bunch of history there. The buttons are great. Looks like a great hunt!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds pwr07.vanzutphen

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Job, Military buttons make for a nice hunt

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, feel like I was hunting with you. Congrats and thanks!

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm guessing the spot you are working was originally dry land that has succumbed to encroaching salt water tides? Sweet finds!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pewters don't normally come out good here either...hope you get tons more there...HH

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you must have quite a little collection of early military buttons by now. Not many people can say that. Congrats on a killer day of early relic finds

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm guessing the spot you are working was originally dry land that has succumbed to encroaching salt water tides? Sweet finds!

Hey Dug, yes rising water levels likely covered an unrecorded Rev War outpost, later utilized during the War of 1812.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The condition is incredible. Wow. How deep are you hearing buttons and balls in thick mud??

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The condition is incredible. Wow. How deep are you hearing buttons and balls in thick mud??

Hey parson, I am pulling the small pewters in thick mud around 7 to 10 inches. The larger I button was recovered the deepest at around 12 inches. Alot of folks knock the safari, but I have had a ton of success with the machine on the coast.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2015
Schaumburg, IL
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on such nice finds! Got to love the opportunities those low tides provide! Look forward to seeing more of your recoveries in that spot.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on such nice finds! Got to love the opportunities those low tides provide! Look forward to seeing more of your recoveries in that spot.

Thanks Eagle, yes it still amazes me what can survive in the water. More to follow!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Button heaven! Great condition on them all again. Congrats on the usa button that would make my year. Hope to get a 1812 button this weekend going on a hunt where there's a good chance. What's the pike looking relic? HH!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Button heaven! Great condition on them all again. Congrats on the usa button that would make my year. Hope to get a 1812 button this weekend going on a hunt where there's a good chance. What's the pike looking relic? HH!

I am thinking its part of an old weather vane, but truthfully not 100% sure. It was found at an old plantation site rather that the rev war crossing. Good luck button hunting- coins are nice but old military buttons certainly tell a story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread