saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What USB charge connectors do you use?

For my 800 I have been using an extra USB IPad charger. This produces more voltage than the small USB chargers used for the IPhone.

They say not to use the IPad charger for the IPhone.

I have looked at the 800 manual, but is not very specific.

So what do you use? Do you think I am OK using the larger USB IPad charger?

Thanks

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any HIGH quality (name brand) charger that has an output of 5VDC at 2.0 to 2.4Amps (2000ma). Wattage rating should be 10 or 12 WATTS per USB connector on the charger. I.e. if there is one connector 1o or 12W, six connectors 60W.
I say name brand as some of the very cheap chargers do not have the protection circuitry that the cheap ones do not.
I have Anker, Apple, Samsung and Verison chargers that meet the specs.
Using a charger rated less than 2amps will charge the Equinox, but will require longer to get to a full charge.
USB Type A connectors are specified at 4.75 - 5.25VDC and IF you should find one rated at a higher voltage DO NOT USE IT for charging the Equinox.
Multi-output chargers may have output ports with different current (A or ma) ratings use the one rated for the 2amps needed for the best charge of the Equinox battery.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What USB charge connectors do you use?

For my 800 I have been using an extra USB IPad charger. This produces more voltage than the small USB chargers used for the IPhone.

They say not to use the IPad charger for the IPhone.

I have looked at the 800 manual, but is not very specific.

So what do you use? Do you think I am OK using the larger USB IPad charger?

Thanks

As waterwalker said, you are fine using the IPAD charger plug. I just has higher current (not voltage) capacity than the smaller iPhone chargers, but the Equinox will control the current draw. The key is using a high quality charger that can supply about 2A of current. Smaller, cheaper 1A chargers are not recommended because they can overheat as the Equinox attempts to draw more current. Smaller 1A capacity chargers that overcurrent protection are fine, they will just charge the Equinox at a slower rate.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks
Just wanted to be sure I was not causing any issues