Use findings for new equipment

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep 99.9% of what I find, wife gets first choice the rest goes into my display case. I did trade in one ugly gold ring at a Chinese jeweler store for my gold skull ring, they gave me 90% of spot price of gold when I traded it in...

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep everything except clad. I buy silver coins with that.

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL at the rate I'm going of about $25 a year in clad my machines will never get paid off. When my mason jar fills with coins I'm going to change it in and buy some silver.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all means, keep all your silver for bartering, and trade the Gold for silver dimes IMO.:hello2:
Marvin
PS, you really won't know when you need silver until you really need it.:occasion14:

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell my silver?

Shocked-Face.jpg

Surely you jest!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a matter of personal choice some people keep everything they find including clad....others sell everything and some will trade clad and gold and buy silver....to each his own.

Part of the equation also is what your financial situation is for some it's just a hobby for others it's a supplimental income.

Regards + HH

Bill

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a matter of personal choice some people keep everything they find including clad....others sell everything and some will trade clad and gold and buy silver....to each his own.

Part of the equation also is what your financial situation is for some it's just a hobby for others it's a supplimental income.

Regards + HH

Bill

Anybody who is using metal detecting as supplemental income needs to have their head examined! You will make more money flipping burgers at minimum wage.

OP
OP
C

cagefan20

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not my career I'm a steel worker. new at all this just didn't know what other people did

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not my career I'm a steel worker. new at all this just didn't know what other people did

It's all personal opinion, just like detector choice. Personally, I only sell items that are stupid-valuable, and use my clad to buy silver bullion. I have friends who sell everything they find, it's all in what you want to get out of the hobby.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold the vast majority of my world war 2 finds to pay for my E-trac. Yes i could afford the E-trac without selling my finds but with no place to display the collection, they are better off in the hands of someone who can give them the attention and respect they deserve. I still have pictures so not all is lost.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never sold anything I found.

I think that in the coming times if you're going to spend your clad, use it to purchase silver dimes. We can't predict what is coming ahead for us, but it sure isn't feeling good. There will always be a place for silver, and in the lowest common unit, you won't be over paying if you have to use it to feed yourself.

After you have the comfort of that safely tucked away, then the new equipment would be a great choice.

Always make sure you can eat first!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I maintain a checking account for my hobby and have PayPal attached to it. All my clad deposits go there for future upgrades or purchases. It's your choice as to what you keep and why. I personally have not sold any of my finds (yet). I bought 14 various coin folders and a binder full of pocket pages. The only coins and tokens that hit this collection are dug out of the ground. I do not hold on to detectors for sentimental reasons. I rather sell it once it sits before it loses value. I do not buy precious metals with the proceeds nor coins.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a seller.I have been blessed with a number of good finds,jewelery,and have sold off the vast majority.If I find something I really like I may hang on to it.for me it is a hobby,but its a hobby that generates some money.I generally use the"special"money for equipment and detecting trips.My spring beach trip,in two weeks,is paid for entirely by a single find,my banner.
My wife will never sell anything,ever.I totally see both sides as legit.for me it isnt treasure unless it represents cash but I still get a kick out of finding a wheatie or bling ring etc.motivations are as unique as the individual hunter.btw...my hunting buddy has everything he has ever found as well.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep my finds and turn my clad into cash. At the end of the year, I use the total clad amount to buy US silver coins at one of the larger regional coin shows (best deals imo). Then I sit and admire my 'silver' finds for the year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread