002.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

masonh

Jun 24, 2010
Pic of the other side, are these showing up too large?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 480
F

Felinepeachy

LOL Yes, rather large but I've resized them. You can resize your pics in Paint.

OP
OP
M

masonh

Jun 24, 2010
So what do you guys think. I'm still so new to collecting artifact. Was this piece even worth picking up? Is it a tool? This inquiring mind wants to know.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I'd say someone picked it up and whacked at it a few times to check the quality of the material. A lot of us pick those up when we start collecting, but as you zero in on actual sites you'll probably get to the point that you leave them in the field for another new hunter.

Is that a North Carolina find? I saw a cache a while back of about 2000 nearly identical crude blanks made from a quartzite that looked identical to that.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joshuaream said:
I'd say someone picked it up and whacked at it a few times to check the quality of the material. A lot of us pick those up when we start collecting, but as you zero in on actual sites you'll probably get to the point that you leave them in the field for another new hunter.

Is that a North Carolina find? I saw a cache a while back of about 2000 nearly identical crude blanks made from a quartzite that looked identical to that.

Josh pretty much covered what I was going to say. I have seen quartzite with the same marks on it in NC..

OP
OP
M

masonh

Jun 24, 2010
thanks for the input, i found it a couple of weeks age near richmond va, most everything i've found lately is made of the same blah brown quartzite, with occasional white quartz, those flint pieces i often see pictured here and found just west of me are really nice, wish i saw that once in awhile

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Persevere you will find some different materials once in a while. I always found green rhyolite & milky quartz but after a while, I found black flint & Rose/orange quartz. Also a Chalcedony, that thrilled me.
Good luck, extend your hunting area.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
masonh said:
So what do you guys think. I'm still so new to collecting artifact. Was this piece even worth picking up? Is it a tool? This inquiring mind wants to know.

Yes, it's a tool, a quartzite flake knife. When I was new to collecting and hunting I kept them all just to familiarize with myself what is and isn't an artifact. I mostly leave them were they lay nowadays. Here's one that's similar I found in western Va. Construction sites along the James are great places to get lucky.

Attachments

• phpMDsSj2PM.jpg
    phpMDsSj2PM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 199
  • phpaWo5gPPM.jpg
    phpaWo5gPPM.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 204

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread