Used Sand Shark Gotcha

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not buy a used detector on a bet. Two years old, are you believing this?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It should be hardwired if it is two-years old. It should be sent to you broken down so that you'll know the last owner took care of it, breaking it down and cleaning it after each beach use. If the lower rod is fused to the upper rod the last owner never took it apart or cleaned it..

OP
OP
Buzzlitebeer

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok well I met him tmrw! I am gonna take some batteries before I hand him the cash.

Is the warranty transferable? If it is I figure what do I have to loose if it puts a SS in my arsenal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Warranty is NOT transferable.

OP
OP
Buzzlitebeer

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Terry, I took a pass on it.

reg11756

Feb 4, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites SURF PI; MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have bought many used detectors from Whites 4DB to 2 yr old Surf PI (came to me in MINT condition as advertised), to a NIB AT GOLD. So far, I have never been burned, but I know I am taking some risk. A lot of it is based on a gut feeling about the person you are dealing with and if you can handle the consequences of a deal gone bad. Face to face is always preferable, but not always possible. And ALWAYS BUY LOWER THAN RETAIL so you can absorb some expense if repairs are needed. The deals are there on good quality used machines if you look.

I know some people prefer new and that is a good reason to support the vendors on this forum, but used machines are a real opportunity for the informed person with limited funds. I have 4 machines right now (SS, V3i, Surf PI, MXT) that would cost about $4500 new (including accessories I got in the deals like Garrett PP's and Lesche diggers for ex) and I have paid less than $2000 out of pocket. But I also have machines made by companies with INCREDIBLE service and support. My worst flub was the 4db that need a bit of soldering and a tune up at whites for $70 plus shipping from me to them. I paid $50 and sold it for $165 so I still came out ahead $35.

I have also traded with and sold on this forum so I always make sure what I am sending is "as advertised" or better, cuz these people will tear me up if I mess with them or their friends1:icon_thumleft:

As always....CAVEAT EMPTOR....let the buyer beware. Happy Hunting!!

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In regards to the warranty. I bought a Silver uMax on CL and called Tesoro about it. They said they would service it just the same as long as it was an issue falling under the warranty rather then a user error.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In regards to the warranty. I bought a Silver uMax on CL and called Tesoro about it. They said they would service it just the same as long as it was an issue falling under the warranty rather then a user error.
I've heard more than one story in regards to the Tesoro lifetime warranty being honored even if it's not in your name.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought at least 7 detectors used, havent gotten screwed on one yet and saved a fortune on them.

I bought my last excal for $575 and put a WOT Coil I bought used for $90 on it. Great machine, new it would have cost me about $1500 for excal and coil, I put total of $600 in it with $25 to buy parts to make my staright shaft.... Less than half of what a new one costs. All the money saved can be used for repairs if it ever needs it... I have had it for over 2 years now..............

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the warranties aren't transferable, Tesoro will still repair them if it isn't something you did like driving the truck over it.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I bought both my detectors used and they were in like new condition. A lot of people buy detectors and find out is not as easy as they thought. So up for sale they go. The only new detector I would consider buying new is the Sand Shark for its warranty. Then again they don't often come up up for sale used.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have bought two used machines. My first was a White's DFX off of ebay for $800. It was by a guy that thought it to be too complicated and was only a month old. Nearly full warranty transfered to me. I sold the 12" coil for $125 and bought a brand new stock 950 coil for $35 again off of ebay. I had this machine for two years then sold it for $800 back on ebay. Then I bought a new MXT PRO from Kellyco. Sold the 12" coil again for $135 and got the 10x12 SEF coil. Still have this machine. Last year I bought a TDI for $675 including shipping. Both of the used machines I purchased were in excellent condition. Buying used is a great way to go but you have to be cautious. You need to be aware of warranty and how the machine was used. I don't know if I would buy a used salt water machine. Also there are some great dealers that can offer some fantastic discounts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread