USFS -Road Closures Under Travel Management Plan

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to pass on a rumor I recently heard. Maybe someone has connections and can confirm.
Apparently the TMP has provisions for the USFS to review/revisit the TMP on a reoccurring basis.
This wasn’t done and there was a memo sent out to LE to no longer issue cititations to people driving on roads which were closed or left off the maps. Apparently they will not hold up in court.

Can anyone verify this?

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have to be specific, what area?, the resource management plan including travel restriction and road closures
are independent in each national forest, you can go to the web page for the area and look in the alerts or management sections
some travel management plans were reviewed but county boards or local government were not given the right of coordination.
If it's a directive to stop decommissioning roads & road closures that would be great news...
if you find out more let us know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told it was every national forest.
I do know my local forest neglects to update the MVUM maps.
The ones they have now are dated 2015.
They are too busy studying other things apparently.
For instance withdrawing mineral entry to protect a miners cabin.
How ironic!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was told it was every national forest.
I do know my local forest neglects to update the MVUM maps.
The ones they have now are dated 2015.
They are too busy studying other things apparently.
For instance withdrawing mineral entry to protect a miners cabin.
How ironic!!

My friend Barry taught me (us all!) that withdrawal from mineral entry just means you can’t file a notice of location (aka a claim) there. You can still prospect! So get after it, just don’t disturb the actual cabin.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Each TMP is District by District and would be subject to the specific District. The TMPs were all subject to the very same criteria for implementation. One would have to call the Dist Rangers office to find out the specific status of their TMP.

Bejay

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My friend Barry taught me (us all!) that withdrawal from mineral entry just means you can’t file a notice of location (aka a claim) there. You can still prospect! So get after it, just don’t disturb the actual cabin.
"Mineral in Character" vs. "Mineral deposits" is the core 'Issue' within the "Public lands" "Subject to administration, survey, and transfer of title under the public-land laws of the United States, wherein the jurisdiction is now vested in the Director of the BLM under the direction of the Secretary of the Interior".
Once the "Cabin was abandon" the use thereof is a "Surface management issue / improvement".

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wanted to pass on a rumor I recently heard. Maybe someone has connections and can confirm.
Apparently the TMP has provisions for the USFS to review/revisit the TMP on a reoccurring basis.
This wasn’t done and there was a memo sent out to LE to no longer issue cititations to people driving on roads which were closed or left off the maps. Apparently they will not hold up in court.

Can anyone verify this?
As far as 'Will not hold up in court' has been this way for a long time as "Recreation vs. Mining' is different issues.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Mineral in Character" vs. "Mineral deposits" is the core 'Issue' within the "Public lands" "Subject to administration, survey, and transfer of title under the public-land laws of the United States, wherein the jurisdiction is now vested in the Director of the BLM under the direction of the Secretary of the Interior".
Once the "Cabin was abandon" the use thereof is a "Surface management issue / improvement".

Is this just gibberish or relevant? Can someone translate this to human speech for me?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I'll give it a crack. Mineral in Character vs Mineral deposits is one of the core issues for the leftists trying to run us off every square acre of the country in the name of "conservation". Once the cabin was abandoned, and most likely the claim as well, it is now a surface management issue as the cabin now has some "historical reference" and thus can be used as an excuse for mineral withdraw of what is probably a rich area.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll give it a crack. Mineral in Character vs Mineral deposits is one of the core issues for the leftists trying to run us off every square acre of the country in the name of "conservation". Once the cabin was abandoned, and most likely the claim as well, it is now a surface management issue as the cabin now has some "historical reference" and thus can be used as an excuse for mineral withdraw of what is probably a rich area.
This in part is what is behind the "Recreational mining" term so widely used. The "Mineral withdraw" plays a bigger role with the "Geologists ground mapping of minerals" within the 29 "States" that have been created out of the "Public domain"; their boundary descriptions are given in the "Enabling acts".

The 'Distinguishing features of the Mineral Survey' will make clear the issues of "Mineral in Character" vs. "Mineral deposits". The "Discovery Vein / Discovery points" can also make this very clear.

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This in part is what is behind the "Recreational mining" term so widely used. The "Mineral withdraw" plays a bigger role with the "Geologists ground mapping of minerals" within the 29 "States" that have been created out of the "Public domain"; their boundary descriptions are given in the "Enabling acts".

The term "recreational" was coined for those who do not derive their living from mining exclusively. Where as guys like me are "professional" miners as my living is derived from mining.

THIS is EXACTLY why so many of us have tried to kill the term "recreational". "Recreation" can be limited for the "greater good" but when you directly attack "professional" miners is gets a lot more difficult.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The term "recreational" was coined for those who do not derive their living from mining exclusively. Where as guys like me are "professional" miners as my living is derived from mining.

THIS is EXACTLY why so many of us have tried to kill the term "recreational". "Recreation" can be limited for the "greater good" but when you directly attack "professional" miners is gets a lot more difficult.
This reminds this one of the penalties of falsifying a affidavit say when there is a "Conflict" of the exterior lines of a claim conflict with the survey of another claim. The use of that "Mineral Lands" is the "Mining law foundation" and is in no way "Recreational". A "Land Lease" is not the same.

This by the way is the "Commerce " taking "Place upon the market roads and trails". So yes this has little to do with "Recreational mining".

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread