USGS Bench Marks for altitude?

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

I like using this one better. You can do it by quad names.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_quads.prl

First, type in the quad name of your area. Then click on your correct quad in the first/top box. If there is only one quad there, you're in luck! Next, I hit submit because I like reading all the old details of the benchmarks, but as you can see, you can restrict your search in the next two boxes before you hit submit.

After submitting, you get a list of benchmarks on that quad. If you know the approximate lat and long, you can click on it to "select it" or you can scroll on down and click "select all." Then, click "Get datasheets."

If you don't know the lat, long, or other data to choose which benchmark you want, then hit "select all" and "get datasheets." The next screen will show you the listing of benchmarks on that particular quad with plenty of details! The beginning of each benchmark "description" is indicated by the new lats and longs. If you look at the end of each benchmark description, there is a physical description of where each benchmark is located. That is often very helpful, because I find that sometimes the lats and longs are good enough to get me in the right area, but the knowing the actual land features helps a lot!

Hope this helps,
Cavers5

Oct 9, 2004
Fresno, Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to geocaching.com. Go to the benchmark option and follow the prompts. I have found many benchmarks this way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread